5

[Kendall's POV]

Another night of sleeping in the basement. I didn't even have a mattress. It was pretty cold sleeping on the floor in the same clothes I've been wearing for a while. There was some space underneath the stairs I slept in. There was a knock at the door. 

"Who?" I called.

"Ethan."

"Nope."

"I'm trying to give you a blanket."

I had to admit, I needed a blanket. 

"Okay, fine." I said, getting out from under the stairs.

Ethan opened the door and came down the stairs, closing it behind him. He sat on the bottom step and patted the space next to him. I walked over and sat next to him. He put the blanket over my shoulders and we sat there quietly for a while. 

"It must suck sleeping down here." Ethan broke the silence.

"Yeah. I miss my bed." I replied, pulling the blanket closer to my body. 

"That stinks. I'm sorry." 

I shrugged.

"At least I don't have to pay bills." I joked.

Ethan laughed and we went back to silence.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw him moving to put his arm around me. I shook my head and moved over so I was slightly further away from him. He quickly put his arm back and looked around awkwardly. 

"Kay. Thanks for the blanket. Bye." I said and stood up.

Ethan sighed and went back upstairs. I went back to my sleeping den under the stairs. It was a lot better with the blanket. 

[Time skip]

Emma and I finally got time together. We were just staring at each other. The TV was playing loudly in the background because I  didn't want Mark to hear what we were talking about. I leaned closer to Emma and whispered.

"We need to find a way out of here."

Emma nodded and didn't say anything for a couple seconds. I got worried for a second.

"Mark wouldn't even let me get the chance."

"You've got to try."

"I think he'd kill me if I got caught."

I shook my head.

"He likes you too much, me on the other hand."

Emma nodded.

"I'll find a way, just give me time. He just needs to trust me more."

It was silent for a few moments until I thought of something. I got excited.

"Can you do me a favor?" I asked. Emma nodded. "Can you convince that asshole to get me a bed?"

"It might take some time." Emma replied.

I shrugged. As long as I got a bed at some point, I would be happy. Sleeping on a basement floor with only a blanket was very uncomfortable. Then the door to Tyler's room opened. He looked pissed as hell. I probably did too. 

"Good morning." Tyler said.

"Good morning." Emma replied.

I glared at him. It was NOT a good morning. None of the mornings in that house were good. There was more conversation between them that I didn't bother listening to. Mark came out and talked to Tyler. When their conversation was done Emma and I sat on the couch talking for a while. Ethan eventually came in the front door, but he locked it quickly when he saw us. Mark and Tyler came running out to the living room. 

"I think it's time for bed." Mark said. 

"It's not even five yet." Tyler said, confused.

I was super confused. Mark grabbed Emma's wrist and pulled her towards his room. I sighed and went back down into the basement. The basement was boring as hell. I couldn't have a phone or anything. It really sucked. I sat in the basement for a couple of hours until Tyler and Ethan both came down.

"We have an idea." Tyler said.