two

mon-el

Things didn't really change between us much, except for a few little things.

We were happier around each other. I could tell. Judging by Alura's eyes constantly darting from me to her, she could tell too. What can I say? A mother knows.

Sometimes when she was exceptionally happy, she would lean against my shoulder as if there was no place else in the world she'd rather be.

More often than not, I would catch her gazing at me with her beautiful sapphire comet eyes. Once she saw that I noticed, she would duck her head quickly, blush, and smile.

Rao help me, that smile of hers. Every single time she smiles, it's as if the world stops spinning and stays still for a while, and time itself halts. The red star would be jealous of how radiant and bright she was.

Lying in bed and thinking about all this made me quite happy and I nearly drifted off to sleep.

Until there was a deafening crash and a woman's yell. I sat up immediately, but before I could get out of bed, Kara was there, looking shocked and scared.

"Did you hear that?" Her voice trembled.

"Yeah. Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine... but I think that was my mother." She looked as if she was on the verge of hyperventilating. "Mon-El, I'm scared. I know I'm probably just being paranoid, it's like my mind can't accept the idea of an unconditional happily ever after with y--" She stopped. There were tears in her eyes.

I put my arms around her. "Hey, it's okay," I stroked her hair. "I'm sure your mother's fine, but if it means so much to you then I'll go check on her with you, okay?"

"Okay." She sniffled.