four

mon-el

Kara had not said anything in three days. Most of the time she would just lay in bed and stare and the ceiling with a blank expression on her face. She wouldn't even talk to me. Not that I blame her. It's just that I miss her. Terribly.

It hurt so much to see her so sad.

"Mon-El? Is everything okay?" Alex's voice came through the phone.

"Do you mind lowering the volume? Kara's sleeping right now." I said.

"Sorry... what's up?"

And after a deep breath, I told her everything.

On the morning of the funeral, I knocked on Kara's door and opened it to find her looking though a notebook with the Zor-El house emblem imprinted on the cover, smiling through the tears. She was wearing a knee-length black dress with sleeves that came up to her elbows. It was sort of weird to see her in Earth clothes after such a long time.

I was taken aback. Ever since that night she hadn't said a word, let alone smile. Remember what I said earlier about her smile? Not seeing it for so long made my world slowly fade into black and white, but today there was a sudden splash of colour, a prick of light in the blackest night.

  She sensed my presence, looked up and beckoned for me to sit beside her and come look at the notebook with her.

  "Look, it's my diary from when I was young," she said sweetly.

  The notebook was filled with symbols— Kryptonese. I listened to her intently as she narrated what was written on it.

  "This was when my mom took me to visit another planet. Oh, and this was when she took me to watch an acrobatics show." She giggled, then lingered over the next page. The pages following it were all blank.

  "The day before I got sent to Earth," she breathed, then turned her head to look at me. "I miss her."

  "I know, Kara. I know." I remembered exactly how I felt when Kara put me in that pod. I thought I would never see her again. It hurt me in ways I could never imagine.

  Abruptly, there was a noise coming from outside so loud that I pulled Kara to me and covered both of her ears with my hands on instinct.

  "Thanks, but you didn't have to do that." She smiled when the noise stopped. "What was that sound?"

  We raced outside, where an enormous ship was waiting for us. The door opened and out stepped Alex Danvers.