twelve

kara

Weeks passed. I knew it was wrong, but I did it daily anyway. I kept finding excuses to cover it up: it was the only way to help my planet, it earned enough money for Mon-El and I to live a peaceful life here, but deep down I knew those were all lies that I told myself. I guess I was basically daring the universe to give me a sign to stop. And it did.

No cases were assigned to me that day. Whenever this happened, I would just sit in a study and read dusty old books about the Kryptonian Law. It wasn't particularly enjoyable, so it wasn't really much of a surprise that I fell asleep over a book with yellowed pages.

Then there came a knock at the door, one that I knew and loved. I jerked awake immediately and Mon-El's head peered in through the door. He had a goofy huge smile on his face.

"Mon-El! What're you doing here?" I got up, walked around the desk made of polished wood and sat on it casually.

"I just wanted to see you. It gets lonely in the house without you."

I smiled.

"Oh, and look what was sitting in the fridge when I opened it! They don't sell them on Argo, so I figured Alex must have smuggled them in..." He pulled out a box of donuts from behind his back.

I gasped and as a reflex I exclaimed, "I love you!"

The air froze around us. Mon-El's lips parted a little. Something ignited inside his eyes.

"I mean, I don't-- I mean, I do, but-- if you-- I--" I couldn't think of anything to say. My heart was hammering noisily.

"I love you too."

After slowly setting down the box, he approached me and put his hands on my waist. Soon after his lips came crashing down to mine.

"Someone's greedy today," I teased as I tilted my neck so he could kiss his way up the side of my neck and back to my lips. Maybe we would've never stopped if it wasn't for the feeling of being watched suddenly coming over us.

Hesitantly we parted and there, standing in the doorway, was Caleb, his mouth open. He looked like he couldn't believe his own eyes.

I quickly slid off the desk and rushed over to him. "Caleb, I can explain. It's not what it looks like," I said desperately.

"It's not?" Mon-El looked upset.

Great Rao, why did all this stuff have to happen to me?

"I mean, I guess it is. But please don't punish me for this. I know you mean to keep a professional work environment, and—"

"A professional work environment? Is that what you think I'm mad at you about?" Caleb shook his head.

Oh no. So he was mad.

"No, it's definitely not that. What I refuse to believe is that you, an honourable Kryptonian judge, are having an affair with a filthy, uncivilised Daxamite!" He spat out the last word as if it had been a fly that had flown into his mouth.

I heard Mon-El take in a sharp breath. He had gone too far. He had hurt him!

"You son of a bitch," I cursed with loathing lodged deep in my heart. "You'd think everyone in this city would be more accepting, considering they were a hair's width close to dying all those years ago." Frustrated and angry, I picked up the nearest book and threw it at him. Mon-El didn't stop me.

"Kara, even your glorious family name cannot and does not make up for this monstrosity! You're fired."

"Fine, then. Come on, Mon-El," I reached my hand out backwards, felt him take it, and together we walked over to the door, exited, and I slammed the door with as much force as I could muster.

"Damn," Mon-El sounded in awe, and I couldn't help but smile at him.