twenty

mon-el

I watched as Kara stirred and woke.

"Hi," I said softly, and she smiled.

"Hey."

"Kara... we need to talk."

"What's wrong?" She said, concern etched into her face.

"Nothing is. Uh... you're pregnant."

She paled, slid her hand out of mine and looked the other way.

"Were you ever gonna tell me?"

"I... I don't know." Pause. "Do you hate me now? For not telling you?"

I shook my head. "Kara, you forget that I was literally in the same situation eight years ago. I completely understand. I was a total asshole to ignore my girlfriend."

"Thank you," she breathed.

"Anything for you," I smiled, then added, "and our baby."

"And our baby."

alana

I tossed and turned in bed as the same scene flashed before my closed eyes countless times.

When I was running to get the person who shot Kara, I could see their shadow. It was most likely a him, based on their body shape.

What bothered me was that I was so close. He was only meters away from my grasp, and yet still out of my reach. If I'd given it my best, if I'd run faster maybe, I could've caught him. I could've gotten revenge for what he did to Kara.

I couldn't take it anymore. I got out of bed and retrieved a strip of paper from a drawer installed in a desk.

Alex's address. She had given it to me that night on the balcony. I felt a smile tugging at the corner of my mouth even as I thought about it.