five

kara

  I rushed forward to hug her. She chuckled lightly in my ear.

  I couldn't believe it.

  It wasn't that I thought I'd never see her again. Just... not this soon. And not under these circumstances.

  "Kara, Mon-El told me what happened. I'm so sorry."

  "It's not your fault," I said after a pause.

  We broke apart. I turned quickly, ran to Mon-El and embraced him.

  "Thank you," I said. This was going to be a hell of a lot easier to go through with my sister by my side. He knew me so damn well.

  "Anytime." I could hear the smile in his voice.

  I took a step back and we stood there looking into each other's souls until Alex cleared her throat.

  "So, things seem... intense between you and Mon-El," Alex looked at me sideways. Mon-El had gone to prepare for the funeral and let us catch up. We were sitting on my bed together.

  "We kissed... once," I admitted. She perked up immediately and I laughed. "Although it's not like it changed anything. It's... complicated."

  She let out a tiny laugh. "You said that nearly two years ago, remember? Coincidentally, we were talking about Mon-El."

  How could I forget? Things were so simple back then. I had no idea what I had coming.

  "Enough about me and Mon-El. How are things on Earth?"

  "Actually, J'onn made me Director of the DEO."

  "Alex, that's great news, I'm so happy for you! The DEO's in good hands, I'm sure of it."

  "Thanks," she smiled. "No big villains have popped up recently, although people are still a bit shaken up from Reign. You haven't missed much."

  "Glad to hear it."

The door opened and there stood Mon-El. "It's time," he said quietly.

After putting on my black cloak, I followed him out into the open. The snow piled on the ground was blindingly white. The air was painfully freezing. Every light breeze was a slash to my face from a sharp knife.

Seeing a crowd of people dressed in black sitting in front of a freshly dug hole was multiple stabs to my heart.

I stopped walking and Mon-El bumped into me.

"I... I don't think I can do it," my voice cracked.

"Yes, you can," he encouraged. "I believe in you."

Before he had time to protest, I reached down, took his hand and started walking through the aisle through the middle of the seats, towards the front where a podium stood.