eight

tw// panic attack and the next chapter has mentions

kara

  I woke to Mon-El's steady heartbeat. I was sleeping on my side facing him, one hand on his bare chest, and he had his arm around my shoulders. We just stayed there for a few minutes, him stroking my hair gently, me drawing random patterns on his chest with my finger, both of us soaking in the peacefulness of this stolen moment of calmness in the midst of overwhelming sorrow and grief.

  There was a knock at the door.

  "Kara, it's me," came Alex's voice from outside. I froze. Swiftly, Mon-El pulled up the blanket to cover both of us.

  Don't come in, I wanted to shout, but it was too late. Alex yelped in surprise when she saw us, and quickly closed the door again.

  "Both of you, clean yourselves up, and Mon-El, get out of there. I need to talk to Kara," came her muffled voice from outside.

  Mon-El pulled on a shirt quickly. "To be continued," he smiled and gave me a quick kiss on the lips. I stared after him dreamily as he made his way to the door. He sure knew how to make a girl feel special.

  "Give us a little heads-up next time," he said as he passed Alex. I smiled. There was going to be a next time.

  "Get a room next time," she shot back.

  "We did," Mon-El shook his head before leaving, and Alex took a seat beside me, seemingly unaffected by what just happened.

  "What's up?" I asked.

  She sighed. The look in her eyes gave everything away. As the daughter of the Kryptonian equivalent to a judge, I had acquired a lot of skills from my mother, one being reading other people effortlessly.

  "You're going back," I said, answering my own question.

  "I wish I could stay longer, I really do," she said with a pained expression. "But an agent told me that some government official was here, some colonel... I'm really sorry."

  "No, it's completely fine! I totally understand. Well, have fun back on Earth. The DEO's going to thrive with you in charge."

  I walked with her until we reached the ship which had only landed here a few days ago. It wasn't a long time ago but it seemed so distant.

  We wrapped our arms around each other.

  "I love you," I smiled.

  "I love you," she said.

  She took a few steps toward the ship and turned.

  "This isn't goodbye, Kara. You know that, right?"

  "Yes, but you said it back anyway. It's a win-win," I shrugged playfully. She chuckled and I watched the door close behind her after she boarded the ship.

  Then, a funny thing happened. I felt a little dizzy when the ship flew away. I thought it was just because I was standing too close to it, but it got worse when the ship was out of sight. The sky started falling, the ground started spinning so hard I lost my footing and fell, my blood pounded in my ears, I could hardly breathe, and worst of all there was a horrible feeling of fear lodged deep in the bottom of my heart. Tears started pouring out of my eyes. I wanted to scream for help but I couldn't. It was like being trapped in a cage with no way out.