three

kara

  I tried as hard as I could to not worry, but it was impossible. Every step down the hallway towards my mother's room was making my stomach jump. At least having Mon-El right there by my side was helping.

  Tentatively, I pushed open the door.

  "Mom? Oh my god, Mom!"

  She was lying on the floor beside her bed, motionless.

  I heard Mon-El suck in a breath sharply beside me.

  I approached her cautiously and held her wrist. She still had a pulse. It was weak but there nonetheless.

  "We have to get her to a hospital," I told Mon-El.

  He scooped her up in his arms. I wrapped my arms around his waist from behind and we were flying.

  I had almost forgotten this amazing sensation. Soaring through the sky so freely and without a care-- I had missed this.

  We touched down shortly. The ground felt too hard-- I had become used to leaving cracks and dents in the ground.

  Everything that happened next was a blur. I only remembered bits and pieces. Mon-El laying her gently on a bed. The priests arriving. Them chanting endless prayers to Rao. Mon-El assuring me over and over again that she would be alright with his arm wrapped tightly around my shoulders. Me sobbing into his chest nevertheless.

  One of the priests came out of the door. He said grimly, "I am sorry to tell you this, Kara Zor-El, but your mother only has a few minutes to live. We have tried our best, but Rao does not seem willing." Pause. "She has requested to see you."

  I looked to Mon-El.

  "Go on," he said. "I'll be waiting here."

  My mother was waiting for me on the bed. She smiled despite of the circumstance once she saw me. "Kara," she whispered. It broke my heart to see her like this, so helpless, so defenseless. I knelt beside the bed and held her hand tightly.

  "Don't go," I wept. "It's too soon... I can't lose you again."

  "I'll always be with you," she replied. "Kara, I love you, don't ever forget that. I have faith that you'll grow into a strong and independent woman. Be happy."

  "No, Mom, please," I begged. "No..."

  I watched as she was carried away. I sank to the floor hopelessly and cried despairingly. It wasn't fair, I had just found out she was alive, and now she was taken from me again, we were supposed to get to know each other better day by day, it wasn't fair...

  I was only vaguely aware of Mon-El bursting in through the doors and asking me if I was okay. I shook my head and let myself fall into his warm and inviting embrace. He whispered comforting words in my ear and kissed my hair, and I just leaned into him and cried and cried until his shirt was soaked.