Chapter 5: Treat

James' POV:

My eyes scanned around my office staring intensely at each man ensuring I had their full attention. I glanced over at Chase who was stood in the furthest corner of the room with his eyes glared down at the floor, his eyebrows scrunched up together. I let out a low menacing chuckle at his demeanor. I knew that he had already found out what I was about to inform them.

"Gentlemen. Thank you for all turning up on time. I can ensure you this meeting won't take much of your time. As most of you already know Isabella miraculously woke up from her coma and is finally back home". I inwardly smiled to myself as I watched my men nod in relief and whisper amongst themselves. I knew that they'd grown fond of Isabella and I knew that they cared for her. She has that impact on most people. My eyes fell to Chase who's eyes had pulled away from the floor and stared straight into mine. His eyes were dark and held no emotion. His fists were clenched together and he was trembling slightly. I held in the laugh that threatened to escape my mouth at his reaction, but I instead turned away from him. I raised my hand signalling for my men to silence their hushed conversations and instantly gained back their full attention.

"However, what most of you aren't aware is that Isabella now suffers from amnesia due to the horrific head injuries that she had inflicted onto her. When she woke up she didn't recognize me or anyone around her. She had no recollection of the previous events that had occured and only until questioning her did we find out that the last memory she had is of her and Damien, but on good terms".

I grabbed the bottle of whiskey that stood in front of me on my desk and poured myself a glass and instantly knocked it back. The golden liquid burned down my throat and I grimaced at the sharp taste before slamming the glass down on the desk.

"We're all aware what Damien was like with Isabella. But what some of you don't know is that Isabella used to date Damien. From what she told me the beginning of their relationship was perfect. He treated her well and truly did love her".

I clenched my teeth together painfully and gripped the edge of the table tightly trying to contain my anger in front of my men. I hated talking about my wife happy with another man, but they had to know the story. But the thoughts of who Damien truly is and what he did to her overpowered the feeling of jealousy. I had tortured Damien not long ago, but it wasn't enough. After torturing him I sent in a doctor to treat his wounds and give him small amounts of food and water. Call me generous. But my intentions were not what you would think. I wanted to keep him alive for as long as possible. I didn't want him to die. No. He didn't deserve death. That would be too easy. I wanted to hurt him over and over again. And hurt him I will.

"Isabella, she believed that she was still in a happy relationship with Damien when she woke up. She believes her best friend Louise is still alive. All these things we know aren't the case. It's as though her own body is trying to protect her from the dark memories that scarred her. She remembers nothing about me, the mafia or any of you. The doctor said the best way to help her is for me and I mean only me to show her pictures and talk to her about small events which may help her to regain her memories back". My eyes stare intensely at Chase who had a strange expression on his face. He looked slightly amused yet menacing at the same time. If I had to be cautious around anyone then it would be Chase. I know he still wants her, but he will not have a single chance to get her.

"However, I do not want Isabella to regain her memories back. I don't want to put her through anymore pain or suffering. She's been through hell and now that she's happy and carefree I wish to keep it that way. I don't want to explain to her that she was her so called loving boyfriend abused her physically, mentally and emotionally. I don't want to explain to her that her so called best friend was sleeping with her boyfriend and then was murdered in front of her. That is why I don't want to tell her anything. If she regains those memories back, then she will fall back and be psychologically traumatized. She deserves peace and that is what I intend give her. Isabella is fragile at the moment and I want people to give us two space. Give Isabella time to find herself and please don't overwhelm her. Is that clear?".