Chapter 41: Hope

James' POV:

4 months later

"Aha, James. Stop tickling me" she squealed loudly whilst covering her mouth in attempts to stifle one of her hilarious snorts. It made my heart swell seeing her so happy. It had been a rough couple of months. We'd have good days and bad. And as much as it was hard accepting the loss of our baby, it made us stronger and closer.

"James come on, help me paint" she whined as she picked up the large roller and dipped it in the cream paint. We had decided to paint up the spare room even though there was nobody to occupy it. As much as we were devastated, we wanted to try and find the happiness in the situation. For us, painting the baby's room gave us hope. Gave us hope that one day we'd have a healthy baby sleeping in this room with their brother or sister watching down over them protecting them whilst they slept.

We comforted each other during the past months, spending a few whole nights staring out at the starless sky and talking about what our life could've been like with our little pea. And as broken as I was and still am, Isabella made me stronger. She always brought out the best in everyone. She would stroke my hair at night to help with my nightmares. She would wake me up with an I love you and end every day with an I love you. She held me together during the hard time, and I did her. We always wanted to remember our beautiful baby, so we made a promise on the day of the scan to always light a lantern and release it into the sky every year as I reminder that our baby pea was up there watching down at their mummy and daddy.

I still slept with our baby's bunny as a reminder of its purpose. To bring peace and comfort. There was a secret I had hidden during this dark time. I witnessed my mother having a miscarriage. She was 21 weeks pregnant when she lost her baby girl. I was too young to fully understand, but I too was heartbroken. To this day I still remembered the day she found out it was a girl.

"Well my love, you'll be having a sister soon. And it is your job as her older brother to protect her, love her and guide her through life".

So losing our baby brought horrible flashbacks of the time I lost my sister, but as always Isabella came to my side and let me confide in her.

"Okay sweetheart, I'll help you paint" I lowly growled. Dipping my hands in the paint, I pulled them out once they were covered and strolled over to her ass giving it a hard slap with both hands. She squealed loudly and playfully swatted my face with a huge grin on her face.

"You're so bad James" she whispered earning herself a smirk in return. It had been months since we had had sex. The idea of it was nauseating after losing our baby, but we slowly came to realise that we can't let ourselves rot away like carcasses as months go by. That's not what our baby would've wanted.

"I'm only bad for you" I whispered huskily in her ear making her cheeks redden as she turned the other way.

"Oh yeah, well Max is a good boy, aren't you Max?" My eyes rolled as she once again turned to the dog. She definitely loved the puppy more than me. Max yapped loudly and stepped in the paint before walking around and leaving a trail of cream paw prints leading outside the baby's room.

"And only good boys get treats. Bad boys get punishments" she whispered in my ear smirking to herself as she noticed my evident arousal.

Ooh she's in for it.

"Punish me then princess" I lowly growled into her ear.

"A-anther time maybe" she stuttered nervously as she realised her comment backfired on her. I laughed at her cuteness and turned to start painting on the blank wall.

"James" her soft voice whispered out in the quiet room. I put the paintbrush down and walked over to her cupping her cheeks as soon as I was within reach.