17: full of crap

"what?" devon urged, furrowing her eyebrows in worry.

madame jolie sighed, directing her gaze at michael. "why don't you go now, and we'll see if the things that the spirits are telling me are true."

michael swapped places with devon, biting his lip. "what are they telling you?"

"hush, child. i must concentrate." she repeated the same process that she had done with devon, closing her eyes and humming quietly. after a few moments, her eyes opened again, but this time they were glassy and filled with concern. "it's true," she whispered.

"what's true? please tell us," devon pleaded.

madame jolie looked from michael to devon, completely ignoring ashton's presence. "the boy will die in a month, and you will die a month later."

"that's such bull!" devon screamed, slamming her fist on the table. "you're no better than those new york gypsies. full of crap."

the woman shook her head slowly but surely. "i'm afraid this isn't a hoax, darling. reading his palm confirmed it. he has a month to live, and you only have two. the causes of death are unclear, but i see a faint image of...smoke."

"what the fuck does that have to do with anything? i don't smoke, and neither does he," devon snapped, stealing a glance at michael.

"i don't even know what it means as of now. only time will tell." madame jolie had somehow managed to stay perfectly content during the whole encounter, which worried michael slightly. "please keep yourself safe though. that's your best option.

"we're leaving," devon announced, taking michael and ashton by the arm and pulling them out the door. "goodbye and thanks for nothing."

ashton looked back at madame jolie curiously. "but i wanna get my fortune read," he muttered, pouting like a child.

"grow a pair and suck it up," devon snapped.

the two of them walked back to the car in silence, since they had come to the silent yet mutual agreement that it was time to head back to the city. ashton wasn't sure when to tell devon the truth that he still loved her, just like devon wasn't sure when to tell him the truth about her and michael.

the car ride back was silent as well, and the arctic monkeys album played softly in the background. ashton hummed along every once and a while, only realizing that everyone else was dead silent before stopping.

"well, that was nice. thanks for coming," ashton said awkwardly as he pulled up to the curb in front of devon's apartment. it was almost 7:30 pm and the sky was becoming a dark shade of pink.

"thanks for taking us," devon replied, reaching into the backseat to grab her duffel bag.

michael nodded awkwardly, grabbing his bag and squeezing out of the car door. devon was about to follow his actions when ashton stopped her. "can we talk for a sec?"

devon relaxed in her seat and nodded slowly. "yeah, there's actually something i need to, uh, tell you too."

"you first."

"no, i think you should go first."

ashton took a deep breath and adjusted the bandana he wore every day. "look, dev, i really like you... no, scratch that, i love you. everything about you is just perfect and ever since you left two years ago i couldn't stop thinking about you. that sounds weird and crazy but i can never get you out of my mind. you're like a drug and i was craving you, even when you weren't there. what i'm trying to say is...is there any chance that you feel the same way?"

he bit his lip in hope as devon's jaw dropped. "ash, i don't...i can't..."

"it's okay, i understand. i was just wondering," he said sadly. "what were you going to tell me?"

devon honestly didn't have the heart to tell ashton about her and michael after he had just poured his heart out to her. "nothing important. just that i really appreciate you taking us this weekend."

ashton nodded. "it was no big deal. just watch out for that michael kid, i don't really trust him. plus, if that weird gypsy lady was telling the truth then he only has - "

"don't even say that. she was just trying to scare us," devon interrupted.

he arched an eyebrow. "okay, whatever you say. i'll see you around dev. i...i love you."

devon stepped out the car and looked back at him in guilt. ashton gave her a small smile as he pulled away, leaving her on the sidewalk alone.

-

okay this was a huge filler idk

should i do a character ask for this story ????

yelp

ok goodbye!!!!!