29: f*ck you chocolate stealer

adding to the list of "last things to do before our scheduled death," michael decided to take devon on a date.

it wasn't a crazy date with flowers and lit candles, but it was enough. he started by leaving a trail of notes - idea coutesy of luke, who still wanted to know if the couple had gotten it on yet - and led her to his location.

"dev, i'm leading you on a scavenger hunt, so let's see how well you follow directions. first, go to the place where we first met. oh, i almost forgot! bring fifteen bucks for pizza because i'm broke," michael's voice spoke through the answering machine as devon replayed his message.

she rolled her eyes at his closing but was curious to see what he was getting at, so she grabbed her purse and left the house, making sure she had fifteen dollars in her wallet.

where did we first meet? devon wondered, trying to recall the scene that had played out months earlier. he had bumped into her in an intersection...was it at the corner of 7th and 38th? taking a wild guess, she let her feet guide her in that direction, only to find nothing there. it wasn't until she stood on her toes to look that she saw the sticky note placed on top of the crosswalk sign - a place only high enough for michael to reach.

she grabbed the sticky note and something toppled to the ground along with it.

a box of milk chocolate, devon's favorite.

she skimmed through the note, reading it quickly as her anxiety grew.

dev,

if you find this note it's honestly a miracle. do you know how many people i had to fight just to get this close to the sign from the back of the pack? anyway, now that you have the chocolates (and if someone stole them then fuck you chocolate stealer i'm trying to be a romantic idiot stop messing with love), head to that girly shop you love on 5th and 40th. it's your last stop!

love ya, michael

she raced to the shop, wanting to see what he had in store for her next. as she burst through the doors, the lady closest to the door stared at her for a moment before tilting her head to the side. "are you devon?" she asked, studying devon closely.

devon nodded slowly. "yeah, that's me."

"oh, your boyfriend left you something! he told me to look for a pretty girl with blonde hair who looked anxious so i just assumed... i'll go get the bag."

devon waited in the front of the store as the lady came back, holding a large bag with a tag on it. "he picked this out for you, too. even paid for it! i'd hold onto him, he's a keeper," the lady babbled, handing the bag to devon as she read the tag.

dev,

ok i lied, but you're almost there, i promise! make sure you change into the clothes i picked out because you're gonna look so hot - i mean beautiful, in them. lastly, go to place where you told me about the cockalini and the... you know. just go there. i'll be waiting with your last few surprises!

xoxo gossip girl

she muttered a quick thanks to the worker as rushed to the back of the store and into the changing room. michael had actually picked out some really nice clothes, which surprised devon because it was actually something that she would've picked out herself. michael ahd even done the favor of cutting off the tags for her.

devon knew where to go next. there was nowhere else michael could want her to go. she made her way to the therapy building, clutching her bag tightly to her chest as she shivered. it was approaching nightfall and she was starting to wonder if this was really her last stop.

she entered the building quickly, escaping the cold. she heard the soft sound of music being played from the main hall and followed the sounds, trying to keep the goofy smile from appearing on her face.

and there was michael, acoustic guitar in his lap surrounded by boxes of pizza. he was singing the tune of an unfamiliar song, but devon enjoyed listening. as soon as michael heard devon come in he stopped playing, eyes skimming her up and down.

"see, i knew you'd look hot," he breathed, standing up and engulfing her in a hug. "you found me."

"it wasn't very hard, mr. clifford. you need to do better next time," devon teased, causing michael to pout.

"you know how much of my pride was lost stepping into that store and buying a whole outfit? you know how many teenage girls asked if i was becoming a trans - "

"shut up," devon whispered, grabbing his hands. "this is amazing."

they sat down together as michael opened the first box of pizza, taking a slice out. "it's about time you showed up too, i was so ready to eat all this on my own."

"i thought you needed my fifteen dollars for the pizza?"

"what kind of a boyfriend would make his girlfriend pay? is that how lowly you think of me?" he asked with a gasp, bringing his hand to his chest in mock offense.

devon giggled and took a slice of pizza for herself. the two sat and talked about the same things they usually talked about - nothing. they loved talking about nothing with someone who meant something. and once they were done, michael wasn't letting her leave so quickly.

"i have one last surprise," michael announced, shoving a small box into her hands. "if you hate it, please just say so."

she cracked open the box and gasped, taking out the necklace he had gotten her. it had a small heart on it which was engraved with the word diligere.

"love," she whispered, holding the necklace to her chest. "it's beautiful, mike. honestly. why did you choose latin though?"

"i don't know, shit sounds more romantic in latin."

devon laughed and clasped the necklace around her neck, admiring it closely. "i love it."

"and i love you," michael smiled, causing devon to meet his gaze with wide eyes. this is the first time he's ever said that to her, and it meant a lot.

"really?"

"nah, i'm just fucking with you. i just bought you chocolate and an entire outfit and pizza and a necklace, but i'm just fucking with you."

devon rolled her eyes, sensing his sarcasm. "well i love you too you idiot."

"really?" michael said in amazement.

she smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck. "nah, i'm just fucking with you."

-

freaking relationship goals

i'm finally back sorry for the long hiatus but i can finally walk again !!!!

this story is almost over i cry

hope you enjoyed this long ass update that i wrote in like half an hour oops