27: humping llamas

"tell me a story," devon whined, curling up to michael's chest as they laid side by side in the darkness.

michael thought for a moment. "okay. once upon a time, there was this dude named michael and he used to ride motorcycles. his dick was bigger than a tower, and i'm not talking about eiffel."

"someone should write a song with those lyrics."

"kinky." they laughed quietly together as they studied the ceiling, trying to look at every crevice, bump, and crack that was present. "i never told you the full story of what happened when i went home to my parents yesterday," michael said softly.

devon craned her neck to stare at up at the silhouette of his face. "what happened?"

"well," he started, sighing deeply in exhaustion. "they were all like, 'michael gordon clifford don't you ever leave this apartment again when things are on bad terms because what if you ran away and we only had one child who is slightly disappointing' and i was all like, 'well i'm an eighteen year old boy who has legal rights and can legally have sex with an adult and where would i even go if i ran away because i have no friends or money.'"

"and what did they say after?"

"they were just like, 'oh' and i was all like, 'yeah' and then things got really awkward so we compromised. they said they'd give me more respect and treat me like an adult as soon as i started acting like one which makes no fucking sense because what eighteen year old boy doesn't play league and suck at it?"

devon nodded her head slowly, not sure how to respond. michael sighed, expecting this reaction from her and simply continued stroking her hair. after he had confronted his parents, they had agreed to make a compromise: he could go anywhere he wanted and be respected as an adult as long as he told them everything.

he was supposed to break down that fifth wall that he didn't even know was there.

"can i tell a story now?" devon wondered out loud, causing a smile to grow on michael's face.

"of course."

"so once upon a time there were two llamas. one was named...laura, and the other was named bill. laura and bill lived on a big farm and they were both very lonely. but one day, they decided to do something about their boredom."

she paused for dramatic effect, leaving michael wide eyed in anticipation. "what did they do?"

"they fucked. can you imagine two llamas dry humping each other in the middle of a pasture?"

"hey, that sounds like us."

"ah, so you understood my metaphor."

somehow, these were the moments that mattered most to devon. the times where she could act like her gross, dirty-minded self without being judged because she had someone just like her. they grew silent once again, which seemed like a pattern that emerged throughout their late night cuddling sessions. this gave them time to think, which michael hadn't done a lot of recently.

"did you think that shrink was being for real?" he asked quietly, tugging at his bottom lip as he awaited devon's response.

"i honestly don't know," she answered truthfully, "but i hope she's just a fake. it can't be real. how would we die from smoke? like a fire or something? maybe secondhand smoke?"

michael shrugged in his spot, shutting his eyes. "i dunno. let's stay away from fires though, yeah?"

"good idea," devon agreed with a sigh, laughing softly.

they didn't know how or when they were going to die. all they knew was that they only had weeks - practically days - left together, assuming that the gypsy had been telling the truth.

and yet they still planned on making the most out of their time together because it would be the best time of their lives.

-

ok ok so let me explain something here

last week i tore both my mcl and my acl from soccer, meaning that i'll probably have to get surgery and go through physical therapy if i ever want to like walk properly again

which means that i probably won't be playing soccer until like next fall *cue tears*

pls pray for me

1 like = 1 prayer

save the children