Chapter 6

Nya's POV

"Are you sure we're supposed to be out here?" I ask as we walk deeper into the woods. Seeing how guarded and monitored this place is, it doesn't seem like they would allow being in the forest.

"I know for a fact that we're not supposed to be out here," he quickly glances over his shoulder before he continues walking.

"What?" I ask, panicked. "Then why are we out here?"

"Because you wanted a place they didn't show you. We entered the forest in the blind spot of all the security cameras anyways. They have no idea we're out here," he informs me victoriously as we move deeper into the forest.

"So the place they didn't show me is the forest?" I ask. He shakes his head.

"No, it's something inside the forest they don't know about. The only people who know about it are me, Skylor, and her 'not boyfriend'. We're almost there," he explains. After about five minutes of walking, he stops in front of a tree.

"A tree?" Nothing appears to be special about it. It's slightly bigger than the rest, but nothing else.

"Just wait," he walks up to the tree and squats down by a rock. He picks it up, taps it a couple of times, and the front of the tree opens up as if it's a door. It's lit up inside, and I can see a ladder leading downwards. "A fake tree." He smiles and starts to walk in. Having nothing to loose, I follow him the door shuts behind us.

When I say I have nothing to loose, I mean I have absolutely nothing to loose. Out of this place, I have no family. My parents and brother are gone. The blacksmiths shop has almost reached bankruptcy, and I have no friends because of the incident with Adrian back in the seventh grade.

*Flashback*

Today was the day, the day I would finally talk to Adrian and tell him how I feel. He's always caught my eye, or at least since the sixth grade, and I can't wait to tell him how I feel.

I run my tongue over my braces, a nervous habit I have, when he walks down the hall. His hair is quiffed up like every other boys' in this school, but he can pull it off way better than all of them. He has on a pair of red skinny jeans on and a black t shirt. His hazel eyes shine brightly. Next to him walks the queen bee and her possy. They're always all over him.

Quickly, I look at myself in the mirror. My black hair flows all the way down to my waist where it hangs loosely. I make sure nothing is in my teeth (which isn't effective since I have braces), readjust the glasses that sit on the bridge of my nose, untuck my engineering club shirt, and walk over to him.

"Ummm...hi Adrian," I awkwardly wave. The girls next to him stifle laughs, making me look down at my shoes.

"Hi?" he says it more like a question, looking like he's holding back laughter too.

"I wanted to tell you that I really...really like you," I get the words out. The girls next to him start laughing while he just looks horrified. Suddenly, I become really self conscious.

"Isn't that cute? Maybe when you invest in a haircut and actual self care, he'll actually like you," the girl closest to him cackles. Instinctually, I start twirling my hair. I really liked my hair. It can be styled elaborately and freely. Now, however, I just want to cut it off.

"And nerd club? You could do so much better. Oh wait, you couldn't, four eyes," the girls laugh, turning to walk away. I'm on the verge of tears; they're threatening to spill out of my eyes.

"Nya, I'd never like a poor, disgusting girl like you," a smirk crosses his face as he turns around, his taunting laugh echoing through the halls. I turn the other way, both my heart and confidence crushed.