Chapter 10

Jay's POV

"I didn't know you and Cole went to the gym together every day," I subtly bring up as Nya and I are in the middle of playing serpents and ladders.

"I didn't know you went to the gym period," she counters, moving her marker three. "You can come with us, if you want."

"I'm fine. You guys probably go at some untimely hour," I respond, moving my player four, which lands on a ladder, so I move up twenty spaces.

"We leave at 6:45," she informs me, which makes me cringe.

"My point exactly. I'm more a sleep in til ten kind of guy," I lean back against the couch. She tilts her head and smiles a little.

"You give off that vibe," she moves her piece again.

"Is that a good thing?" I ask. She shrugs.

"Depends on who you're asking. It seems like a you thing, so I find it fitting in a good way," she gives me a soft smile. I subconsciously smile back.

"So what was Harumi actually talking to you about?" I ask, because Harumi would never invite another girl to hang out with us.

"She told me to stay away from 'her boys' because she claims I'm spending too much time with Cole. She also called Skylor the devil," Nya laughs at the end.

"No shock. Just ignore her. She just wants to be in charge," I advise Nya.

"It's so dumb," she rolls her eyes,"Is it bad that I'm starting to enjoy it here?" I lean forward.

"What do you mean?"

"I like my life here more than I did out there. I was miserable," she sighs before looking up at me. "You, Cole, and Skylor, you're like the family I lost."

"This place has its pros and cons. Depending on who you are, the number of each varies," I fidget with my fingers.

"Do you have more pros or cons?" her eyes are filled with curiosity, making me smile once again.

"It's hard. When I first got here, I wouldn't leave my room because I was so depressed after losing everything I had. Like come on, I could shoot lightning out of my hands. That's so cool!" I look down at my wrist with that stupid cuff on it. I tug at it, but it doesn't budge. "They torture you if you step out of line. I've had to go through it. It's horrible."

"What do you mean torture?" she asks, fear evident in her tone.

"They electrocuted me. Usually it wouldn't bug me, but because of this stupid thing," I pull the cuff another time,"it hit me hard. I couldn't leave my room for days cause it hurt so bad, but that's not important," trying to brush off the memory, I look up. Nya looks shocked.

"That's so horrible," she looks into my eyes. "I'm so sorry."

"It's in the past now. Anyways, none of us have to work, which is good, but they also ripped us away from all of our old friends and family, which I had a hard time dealing with. This place also introduced me to my four best friends ever. We're there for each other. I know they have my back. I wouldn't have met them otherwise. I've also been able to meet you because of all this, which I'd like to say, is a major pro," I sadly laugh at the end, looking down at my hands, when I feel a pair of arms wrap around me. I look to my right and see Nya there, hugging me. I wrap my arms around her and pull her closer.

"I'm sorry you've had to go through so much," she tells me, looking up. My heart swells, and my breath catches in my throat.

"It's fine. Things have calmed down more, and the pros are pushing through," I  stammer.

"That's really good," she smiles.

We sit there in silence, with her in my arms, until the alarm goes off.

---

I walk into the room with a smile on my face. At the sound of the door opening, Kai looks up from his phone.

"You're happy," he notes, setting his phone down.

"I had a good jog," I shrug, going over to the stack of blueprints in have on a table in the corner.

"B.S.," he states,"what is it?"

"Is it bad for me to be in a good mood?" I ask, grabbing a pencil and siting down.

"No, but you've been extra mood fluctuaty lately," he informs me, moving his chair right next to mine.

"Mood fluctuaty?" I laugh at his choice of words.

"Be quiet. I'm trying," he jokingly elbows me in the side. "It's a girl."

"What?" I play dumb.

"It's Skylor's roommate! You've been extra peppy since she's gotten here," Kai announces, pointing and leaning back in his chair.

"W-what? No?" I stutter, and he starts laughing. 

"I knew it!"

"Have you even talked to her before?" I ask. He shakes his head.

"Nope. I'm a busy man Jay. I don't have time to watch love triangles," he grabs a random pair of his sunglasses off the bed behind him and puts them on.

"Love triangle?" I question. 

"It's obvious Cole likes her, and you like her, so love triangle," Kai explains, shaking his head.

"Nothing can happen anyways," I tell him. He scoffs.

"What about your special project?" he wonders. I sigh.

"It hasn't been working. I don't know what's wrong with it," I inform him.

"You know that if you get this done..." he starts.

"We'll be able to get out. I know I know," I finish for him. He smirks.

"Bingo. Is she hot?" he asks.

"What?"

"Skylor's roommate, do you think she's hot? Obviously she's no Skylor, but..."

"I...I think she's pretty," I tell him, blushing.

"I'm going to tell Skylor you find her roommate hot," he laughs, pulling out his phone.

"Don't," I warn him. He sighs.

"Fine, only cause I'm such a good friend," he puts his phone back down.

"What are you going to do about Cole also being after her?" Kai asks.

"Nothing. He hangs out with her more. She probably likes him more anyways," I shrug.

"That's the attitude of a quitter! You need to show her how you're better," he tells me.

"Or, I can just be me," I suggest. He shrugs.

"Guess so. Wanna go get some food?" Kai asks.

"Why not?"

A/N: Double update! This was actually part of last chapter but I had to separate them because I didn't like what I had planned for this chapter so I had to put something else here so the numbering in my planning wouldn't be thrown off 

How are you guys liking the story? Things will start picking up soon