Chapter 7

A/N: haha guys imagine publishing chapters 6 and 7 over a half year apart because you forget about this account and are two focused on your man to write, I don't have to imagine

Two weeks later

Nya's POV

"Why was the thermometer smarter than the graduated cylinder?" Jay asks, tightening a screw to the machine we've been working on for the past couple of days. Neither of us know the purpose of it. We're improving as we go.

"I don't know, why?" I respond. Jay's been telling corny jokes all day, and they're amazing.

"Because he had more degrees," he starts hysterically laughing at his own joke. I try not to laugh, but his laughter is contagious.

"That...was so bad," I tell him mid laughter. Over the past two weeks I've been here, Jay has been one of the two people I've talked to, the other being Skylor. It's not that I'm avoiding people, but I'm just usually with one of them. Looking at how I'm supposed to be getting the elemental masters to escape, it would be smart to talk to more people, but this routine I've gotten into is nice. I wake up at 8, get dressed, and head down for breakfast with Skylor. After breakfast, we walk around the "town", talk, and do various tasks to keep us occupied. Then, at two, I come here with Jay. We stay until the little alarm goes off. When we get back, we head our separate ways. When I get to the room, I'm typically alone for thirty minutes before Skylor shows up. We watch a movie before I go to bed, and she sits on her phone.

Skylor is like the older sister I've always wanted. She's cool, collected, and seems to be good at everything. She gives great advice (from what I've experienced so far). Skylor is the older sibling I've needed for the past 8 years of my life.

I'd say Jay is like my brother, but I've had a brother before, and this isn't what it feels like. There's something different here. Not a bad different, but a good different.

"Can you tell your roommate to stop calling Skylor in the middle of the night? I've woken up to the two of them talking for the past 5 nights," and I haven't been able to go back to bed until they finish talking, which is usually around 3 in the morning.

"He's going through a rough patch. It happens every year. He claims he made a mistake, and ever since he's gotten here, he's gotten upset this time of year. He only likes to talk about it to her. I don't know why, but he does. He's recovering now though, so it's good, but he's still moody, easily irritable. The other day he...," Jay starts to ramble about something his roommate did last week. Jay has a habit where when he gets really excited about something, he starts talking really fast. I've seen some of his friends tune him out while he does it (I was grabbing some hot cocoa from the lobby while he was down there with two of his friends). He was going about something, and his friend just nodded, looking down at his phone. I actually find it nice that he's so passionate about so much.

"Hey Jay, who's your friend who wears a lot of black?" I've only seen Jay with two of his friends (one in black and one in white), but there's something about the one in black that seems familiar.

"Cole, why?" his attention is pulled fully from this machine at the mention of his friend.

"He seems familiar. There's something about him that I just can't connect," I admit. Jay chews at the corner of his lip.

"Cole's been in here since he was fifteeen, and he's twenty now, so he's been in here for five years, if that helps," hearing that his friend is twenty shocks me. In my mind, all of the teenagers here are my age. Looking at Jay, I wonder how old he is.

"Jay how old are you?" He doesn't look like he could be anything over 20, which is good, but sometimes people just look younger.

"Nineteen. How about you?" he asks. I guess that's not too bad, but it's still older than I thought he was.