Chapter 18

*Two weeks later*

Cole's POV

"So guys," I start. I'm in my room with Lloyd, Kai, and Jay. Zane is still mad at us for the pool, so he's sitting in the lobby instead. "I was thinking, and I really, really like Nya. Without anyone but you guys knowing, I was going to ask her to be my girlfriend in secret. I knew Zane wouldn't approve, but I wanted to see what you guys thought."

All of the guys have different reactions. Lloyd looks happy. Kai seems skeptical. Jay seems to zone off.

"Go for it! You only have one life, and if you're going to spend it in here, might as well make the most of it," Lloyd encourages me. I've noticed that both Lloyd and I have gotten looser on our adherence to the rules. We use to be super strict, but we're more like Kai and Jay now.

"She's stressed right now because of all that's happened," Kai tells me. "Are you sure you should put this on her to a keep a secret?"

"And are you sure she likes you? Because if she doesn't, then it'll make things awkward between you guys," Jay adds. I sigh.

"I'm fairly sure that she does, and I can try to take some of that pressure off of her," I inform them. None of their expressions change.

"Did you ask Juliet if she likes you? Juliet is really good at seeing those type of things," Lloyd asks.

"She said she wasn't sure," I admit. Now, Lloyd starts to seem more skeptical.

"Are you sure she's not just being friendly?" Kai asks. I nod.

"I'm nearly 100% sure. You know what, I'm going to ask her out now. Thank you guys," I announce.

"Good luck bro," Lloyd pats my back.

"Thanks. Hopefully it's a yes," I respond, and he's gone.

"I'm going to go for a jog. Text me how it goes," Jay says, leaving my room with Kai next to him.

---

I wait in the lobby for Nya. When she walks through, as she'll eventually do, I'll pull her aside and ask her to be my girlfriend. Lloyd and Juliet are also in the lobby, sitting on the couch talking. Zane is also sitting in an arm chair in the corner. Several people walk through, but finally, Nya walks through.

"Nya, can we talk?" I ask her.

"Can we talk later? I'm running late to meet up with Skylor," she tries it brush me off, but I grab her wrist softly.

"Please, it'll be quick," I plead. She gives in.

"Okay, I'm listening."

"Nya, since the day I saw you, I thought you were beautiful," I start. Her eyes widen, and her jaw slacks a bit.

"Cole...," she tried to interrupt me, but I cut her off.

"Please let me finish. Every day that's passed, you've became more and more beautiful, and as I've gotten to know you, I've been able to see that you're beautiful on the inside too. Nya, will you be my girlfriend?" I ask her. Her face looks deathly pale.

"Cole, I look at you like a brother. You're an amazing person, but I don't like you that way. I'm sorry, and I really need to go," she picks up her phone and walks out the door. My chest aches as she walks away, and I'm left with wide eyes. Lloyd notices and walks over with Juliet.

"She said no?" he asks. I nod, my throat tight.

"I'm so sorry Cole," Juliet says.

"I should have listened to you guys. You were right," I admit. Lloyd pats me on the back.