C o n f r o n t a t i o n s

Chapter 20: Confrontations
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Kyungsoo's demeanor was quiet, yet calculating. He observed the tones Chanyeol used when talking to him, beginning to distinguish the ways he could tell the latter's mind was drifting to places--to people--that were unrelated to the current discussion. It was a bitter shift, and he didn't know whether it was due to his own sense of self-confidence lacking or the way Chanyeol's mind was so seemingly transparent.

What was it about Byun Baekhyun that seemed to captivate anyone and everywhere? His name was known and well-spoken about, yet despite the rumors of his explicit activities, others were still fond of him. Maybe it was his status as a politician's son that created his gravity-like pull, but regardless, he had something Kyungsoo didn't have and the thought of it made him angry.

"Chanyeol...?" he muttered, rolling his body over to face the man sleeping next to him.

With his eyes closed, Chanyeol hummed. "Hm?"

Kyungsoo hesitated to bring up the thoughts that raged inside his mind. He held back his tongue momentarily, but the questions that lingered and the need to feel a sense of certainty overcame him, leaving nothing but a trail of words spilling out of his mouth. "Is there something that's always on your mind?"

There was silence before Chanyeol responded, but it was the gap within their conversation that left Kyungsoo feeling uneasy. "Why do you ask?"

"You zone out a lot these days, and I know it's not because you're busy all the time."

"Soo..."

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" Biting his bottom lip, Kyungsoo drew his eyes away Chanyeol's tired gaze, afraid of what staring into them might give away. The warmth beside him was ever present, and yet he could feel the man beginning to distance himself emotionally...again. "I want to be there for you and—"

"It doesn't concern you or anything important," Chanyeol said, cutting him off short. His voice was firm, letting his boyfriend know he was beginning to edge towards a topic that was strictly private. "You shouldn't waste your time worrying about me—"

Pushing against the football player's chest, Kyungsoo furrowed his brows, hurt and offended. "But I do. Shouldn't I be there for you, especially when it's taking a toll on you?"

"Kyungsoo—"

"I'm your boyfriend." A short pause of silence ensued as the words sank in for both men. "I want to help."

It was clear that Chanyeol was becoming agitated. He untangled himself from Kyungsoo's body and sat up, glaring down at the male with exhausted features. "I'm very stressed with my workload and lab work, Soo. Coach has also been—"

"It's not just those things, so please just stop."

"What else am I leaving out?"

"Your—" Kyungsoo stopped himself just as the words reached his throat. Feelings of hate and disdain began emerging in his chest, yet he remained collected as he continued. "You know? Why don't you tell me what you are leaving out?"

"I'm not leaving out anything. Can you please just drop it? I'm tired."

Clenching his jaws, Kyungsoo untangled himself from his boyfriend's arms. He was almost repulsed to be near him. The desire to stay close to the giant's warmth was beginning to fade. "Why do you have to lie to me about this...?" he asked, hurt. "Leaving things out when you know exactly what I'm asking you... It's the same thing as going behind my back and lying to me."