► 28

Surprisingly, Jihyun doesn't do anything to sabotage me as we continue to prepare me for the talk show. I immediately texted Hanbin after she walked in. He should be on his way to my company now. Ara gives me a knowing look as she finishes my hair. Jihyun stays in a corner of my room while Hwayoung talks about something with her.

"Does this make you nervous?" I whisper to Ara.

"Not nervous, just irritated. What kind of messed up situation is this?"

I shrug. "I'm more concerned about how Hwayoung never introduced us and never told me she had a daughter. And of course, of all people, it's Jihyun. Just when I thought we were done with that."

Ara smiles reassuringly and squeezes my shoulder lightly. "It'll be okay. I'm watching out for you, so she won't be able to do anything to you."

Hwayoung suddenly joins us. "Ara, I'm making a coffee run. I need you to help me, is that okay?"

My eyes widen. What sick curse did I have that made all of my fears come true? Ara glances down at me. "Actually, is it okay if I stay here? I need to touch up Soojin's makeup a little."

"Nonsense, it looks fine. Besides, my daughter needs to reflect on some issues she's having and I think Soojin would be great at giving her advice. Do you mind, Soojin?"

I almost burst out in laughter. Not because the situation is funny, but because I feel myself falling into insanity. "I..."

Hwayoung starts to head toward the door. "You wouldn't believe what she did. She ran my car into a guardrail! Can you believe it?" Hwayoung throws her hands up in exasperation as she leaves.

Ara rolls her eyes and gives me a concerned look. I focus my full attention on Jihyun, who keeps her eyes on the ground. "Will you be okay, Soo?"

I don't look away from the girl. Instead, I serve her my best icy glare as she continues to avoid my eye contact. Anger wells up inside of me. "I'll be fine."

Ara takes the hint and nods, leaving us alone. She follows after Hwayoung, who I can still hear ranting in the hallway. As soon as the door closes, I stand up. "So. It was you."

Jihyun looks up to glare at me. "What are you talking about?"

"That guardrail story? Don't try to fool me, Jihyun. You hit Jooheon. I can put two-and-two together. I just want to know why."

Jihyun avoids eye contact again. I quickly cross the room, cornering her. Once I'm close enough, I slam my hands on the wall on either side of her head, trapping her. I glare at her as she looks down. "You can mess with me and torture me all you want. But the second you hurt Joo, you can bet you messed up. Do you think this is some game? You think that you can just mess with someone's life and everything will be okay?"

My heart burns in anger, and yet I feel pride. I feel accomplished. I finally stood up to Jihyun. She glares at me and pushes me away from her. "Remember who you're talking to."

"And what about it?"? I challenge.

"Touch me at all and I'll tell my mother just what's been going on."

"Yeah? How does your mom like that you're Hanbin's secret girlfriend?"

Her face turns red and she takes me by surprise, slapping me across the face. "Was. I was his girlfriend, until you came along."

Suddenly, the door opens and we both turn to look at the person. I hear Jihyun suck in her breath as both of our eyes land on a tall male figure standing in the doorway. Hanbin crosses his arms and slowly enters the room, watching the both of us. She steps away from me, and I look down at the ground. I feel his eyes land on me.

"And just what is happening in here?"

"She's threatening me, Hanbin." Jihyun jumps straight to the point and I glare at her. Who does she think she is?

I step forward. "She hit Jooheon with her car. I just wanted to know why. And she slapped me."

Hanbin turns to glare at her. "Is this true, Jihyun?"

She gasps, pretending to be insulted. "Do you really think I'm capable of that, Hannie?"

His expression doesn't change. "Yes or no."

She pouts, looking down at the ground. "Why did you break up with me for her?"

Hanbin rolls his eyes. "Because you're psycho."

The tension builds in the room. "I'm not psycho! I was just jealous!"

Hanbin's eyes burn with fury. "You hurt Soojin! Even if you were jealous, you should never have used violence on her."

I stand to the side awkwardly as they bicker. She looks over at me suddenly, tears in her eyes. She points to me before looking at Hanbin. In a shaky voice, she asks, "Do you love her?"

Her finger shakes as she continues to keep it pointed at me. I take a step back, thrown off-guard by her question. Hanbin keeps his eyes on her for a second. In a strong voice, he answers, "Yes."

I quickly look from her to him. His eyes remain on Jihyun, daring her to say anything more. Instead, she drops her hand back down to her side. Her shoulders shake slightly as she starts to sob. "Why couldn't it be me?"

She runs out of the room, running into Hanbin as she passes him. His eyes remain on the spot where she stood and I take a moment to recollect myself. "Hanbin...you have to go after her."

His eyes immediately meet mine, his clouded with confusion. "Why would I do that?"

"Don't you still care about her?"

His face seems to grow a little angry and he walks toward me. I nervously back away until I'm pressed against the wall, staring up into his dark, confused eyes. He leans down so that he's face level with me and I shrink against the wall. "Soojin, I just said I love you and you think I still care about her?"

"I..." I bite my lip, unsure of what to say. "Just because Jooheon and I are broken up doesn't mean I don't care about him. I'll always care about him...You and Jihyun had a strong bond when I first met you. I just don't believe that you don't feel anything in your heart for her anymore."

He sighs and looks at the ground, still trapping me against the wall. After a moment, he looks back up at me. "I know. I care, but you and I both know that she's the one that hurt Jooheon. And I know you care for Jooheon...that's why I'm not chasing after her. What she did cannot be so easily forgiven because she might not have come after you, but she still hurt you by hurting him. And I will forgive no one who hurts you."

My heart beats as I keep my eyes on his face. "Hanb-"

He suddenly grabs my face with both of his hands and leans in, kissing me deeply. At first, I stay frozen in place, once again taken aback by his sudden kiss. Then, I melt into the kiss and grip his shirt, kissing him back. After a moment, someone knocks on the door. We both glance over to see Ara standing in the doorway, watching us, one eyebrow raised. We immediately break apart from each other.

She clearly tries to hold back a laugh. "Am I, uh, interrupting something?"