► 29

Hwayoung returned moments after Ara caught Hanbin and me. I went back to the chair where Ara had been doing my makeup and Hanbin coughed awkwardly before sitting in the corner of the room where Jihyun had been. Hwayoung explains that Jihyun had called and explained that she wasn't feeling well, so she left. I sigh with relief as she explains, glad that we didn't have to come up with an excuse about why Jihyun was gone.

An hour later, we leave for the talk show. Hanbin sits in the backseat with me, Ara taking the passenger seat next to Hwayoung. Sure she was my manager, but the woman drove me absolutely insane. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how stupid I was for not connecting the dots that Jihyun and she were related. As we drive through the city, I watch as people decorate the streets of the city with Christmas lights, snow beginning to fall. I think about how many months Hanbin and I had been pretending to be together and all of the drama and fun that had come with it.

A finger tapping on my hand draws my attention back to the present. I glance over and find Hanbin staring at me. I raise an eyebrow. "Hm?"

"Soojin, what do you think of us as?" He whispers.

I gulp, terrified that Hwayoung or Ara would hear us. They were immersed in their own conversation, so I look back at him and whisper, "Maybe now isn't the best time to discuss this."

His frown seems to deepen. "Soo, I don't want to force you into anything. But I need to know what you're thinking..."

I bite my lip and look down. "I don't even know what I'm thinking..."

Just as he's about to answer, Hwayoung stops the vehicle. We've arrived at the station for the talk show. Suddenly, I grow a little nervous. I had never done one of these before, so I was a little worried about what would happen. Hanbin suddenly reaches over and grabs my hand, giving it a small squeeze before letting go and getting out of the car. I follow suit and get out on my own side. I look at myself in the car window, making sure my hair and dress looked okay. 

Hanbin walks over to my side of the car, holding out his arm for me. I hesitantly link my arm with his before Hwayoung rushes us inside. The four of us check in with the staff before they lead us to my room backstage. Hwayoung leaves us to go talk to the host of the talk show while Ara, Hanbin, and I wait inside the room. Ara keeps glancing at the both of us, raising an eyebrow.

"Ara," I finally hiss. "You're making me nervous."

She raises her hands in surrender. "I'm sorry, I'm just curious about what I walked in on earlier is all."

I feel myself blush a variety of different shades of red and Hanbin tenses. He says in a shaky voice, "Don't worry about it."

Finally, Hwayoung enters the room. "Are you ready, Soojin?"

I gulp and nod my head. "I'm ready."

She smiles widely, gesturing for me to follow her. Hanbin and Ara follow her, Hanbin keeping his hand on the small of my back. I glance up at him and he smiles down at me reassuringly. Then, he whispers, "You'll be okay. I've done this once or twice, it's not that scary, I promise."

I nod as we wait backstage for my cue to walk out onto the stage. I try to get a view of the audience, but the lights are too bright. Instead, I shift from foot to foot. Hwayoung tries to encourage me to do well while I'm out there, but her words fly right past me. I'm too nervous at this point to comprehend anything. Finally, they give my cue.

I start walking out onto the stage, lightly tugging at the hem of my dress to pull it down a little more. As I come into view, I can hear the audience cheer. I keep my eyes on the host, smiling widely at her as I approach her. She offers me her hand once I get close and I take it in mine, shaking it lightly. She gestures for me to sit in a large velvet chair across from her, so I do.