5: left this town in shambles

I woke up from my night spent at Lachlan's to yet another phone ring, this time though I didn't loathe grabbing it, I must have slept well. Tannar's name was beaming from the screen, as my eyes scattered in the light. "Hey, Tannar what's up?" I whisper in efforts not to disturb Lachlan.
"Hey, sorry its early but I'm trying to plan for Lannan's birthday tomorrow, could you come help? I know it's probably not what..." I cut her off in that moment.
"Of course, I'm gonna stop at home and get ready, then i'll be over alright?" I say boldly.
"Alright, thank you" she responds lightly. I shut off my phone and look over to Lachlan, whos humming softly in his deep sleep. I kiss his head and head off with another note left behind, went to help Tannar, have a great day <3. I get into an uber once again, to head home and get ready. The morning is calm in Sydney, it seems less busy as usual, a soft fog hangs over the skyline with rain seemingly in sight. I get into my apartment to shower, put some makeup on, throw my hair in a low bun and change into booties and a green rain jacket. Not very interesting- I know. Just like that, i'm off to Tannar's, just another typical day in the life of Violet, right?
As I get out of the car and start to walk up the stairs, the light sound of water pitter patters its way into my ears. It seems as if it was falling evenly, little did I know it seemed the ocean would soon fall from the sky. I take my steps softly, wandering up the stairs with little squeaks.
Knocking softly on the apartment, I let myself in knowing anyone inside would be too lazy to grab it themselves. "I'm up here!" I can hear Tannar yell from seemingly her room, I intended to follow her voice in that moment. But as I was heading up, I noticed Lannan's recording room door to be slightly pushed upen. This time, I knocked on the boards of the door, "Lannan?" I search for him damn near silently. The door creaks open a tad more as I peek my head inside. "Hey, how are you doing?" I ask, seemingly speaking to an empty chair; or a brick wall.
"Fine, V" he nearly spits, in a tone I remember so well. The tone he uses when he can't express his own thoughts so he has to take it out on me. My cheeks start to swell with bitterness, as they appear red as ever. I basically stomped my way over to him, demanding some more explanation.
"Damnit Lannan, we were fine last week! You can't keep doing this to me, one day we're good, the next day we're not, it doesn't make any sense! You're so confusing!" the anger almost brings my voice to a yell. I've been dealing with this for months now, don't I deserve a simple explanation? The words seem to get a rise out of him, he spins in his chair now facing me. I could see his tongue poking his cheek inside his mouth, as he bit down on it for a second before looking at me closely, nearly peering through my soul.
"I'm the one that's confusing?" he shouts back, sounding so shocked. He looks at me even closer now, if possible. His freckled face only inches from mine. Reminding me of his soft hazel eyes and the way they form when he smiles. The way his cheeks turned so rosy and he tried to hide it from me, his lips just as pink, just as close.
"Yes, you ar-" I try to shout back but it comes out so innocently, and before I know it his lips crash on mine. I couldn't tell if it was out of hatred or the simple opposite; but it contained the passion I had longed for so deeply.
The world stopped for one instant, spinning in what seemed circles as the sound of rain crashed onto the window. The storm spoke for me, as thunder shook the floorboards, I tangled one hand in his hair and placed one hand on his face, his cheeks flushed. The world could have flooded, the ocean could have been falling from the sky. But we wouldn't have known. I was entranced in this moment for what felt like forever. I never wanted to let go, his lips we're so soft as smiled and held me like this was the last time he'd ever be able to. A typhoon may have ripped each building apart and left this town in shambles, but all we knew was each other in this instant. His heavy breath against mine and his hands holding my waist. All I wanted was to follow this feeling,
But I could not follow it wherever it took me.
The sound of steps approaching broke me from whatever world it seemed we were in. Taking a step back, the moment seemed to pause reality. With an exhale, Lannan's face was desperate for my acceptance, but all the moment brought was guilt. I stood there absently for what felt like forever, staring into those glimmering hazel eyes. I reached up to touch my lips, as if the guilt overtook me, I turned around and walked out. Out of the recording room, out of the apartment. I could hear Tannar's steps behind mine as bickering begins in the background 'what did you do?', but that didn't matter one bit to me.
I could feel hot tears rushing to my eyes, trying to blink them back but only making the situation worse. They ran from my lids and down my cheeks, crawling down my neck. Is that why he always acted in hatred, out of envy?
The door slams behind me again, I don't even look back. I maintain only a look ahead, partly running down the steps until I reach the last one. The thought of what just happened racks my brain, as I use the wall to slide down the step and use it as a seat, burying my empty eyes into my sleeves. I could not cry, I was just blank. How did that just happen? How did I let that happen? Do I like Lannan?? No. No, I only care for Lachy- oh my god. Lachy.
Another step is taken towards me, as I hear another person slide down the wall next to me. My eyes meet Tannar's in a moment of relief, then sadness once again. "Tannar, I don't expect you to pick sides, Lannan is your brother. Just please don't stop talking to me because of this." I whisper with slight fear in my voice.
"No, no, Violet, my brothers just a bloody idiot, that's not your fault. I came down here to tell you i'm here for you all the same." she nudges reassuringly, allowing me a moment of silence to think as I wipe another tear from my cheek, looking up to her. She must feel scared looking into my solemn empty eyes, her hand reaches towards mine. "What're you going to do?" she asks so honestly. This causes me to think for a moment, but nothing clear comes to mind. "Well, I can put my degree to work" I whisper and chuckle, knowing the comment was inappropriate but the comfort of a laugh could've worked wonders.
Instead she stays fixated on my eyes, without speaking I knew she wanted a real answer. I take a deep breath, exhaling with "I think i'm going to pretend like it never happened". Her head falls down to her feet for a second, her blue eyes looking back up to me with slight determination, "if that's what makes it okay, but it will come back." her honesty meant the world, even if it hurt.
My mind was blank for a simple moment before she breaks it completely, "You do like him though, Violet, don't you?". The words fall off her lips, somewhat like a broken attack. I gaze away from her eyes, tears beginning to collect in mine. My silence gives her an answer, as she kisses my head and gives me a long hug. "I will see you tomorrow, text and call if you need." she comments last of all. Leaving me at the bottom step of her apartment building, wishing for an answer. As the rain continues to fall heavier just like the world was tipped upside down.
-
shit just got real! who do you guys ship more, lachlan or lannan??? :-)