Chp 4:

Tessa:

I opened up my apartment door to find my younger sister Kirsten standing in the doorway.

"Kirsten? What are you doing here?" I asked confused, she walked in and sat on my couch.

"I messed up Tess..." She said looking down at the floor, her voice cracking. I quickly shut my door and hurried over to her, I gasped when I looked at her. She had bruises up an down her arms and a slight cut on her cheek.

"Oh my god." I said as I covered my hand over my mouth. She looked up at me, her eyes blood shot; a bruise was forming around her cheek and under eye.  "He-he did this to you didn't he?" I said, my voice breaking. She said nothing she just looked at me.

A cold look in her eyes.

"Oh my god Kirsten!" I pulled my little sister into my arms

"I'm so sorry..I'm so sorry that I ditched you yesterday and all of those times before. I'm so sorry." she said her voice cracking again.

"No..that-that doesn't matter right now." I said as I stood up and hurried into my kitchen as I grabbed a plastic baggie and placed some ice in it for her.

"Hold this there, I'm going to get you some bandages" I said as I hurried into my bathroom and found my first aid kit, grabbing the box of band aids, as I stood up I noticed my reflection in the mirror.

I felt like I was going to be sick, this was all so sudden. I gathered myself together again before handing her the box of band aids and placing one on her cut up cheek.

I covered my mouth with my hand as I looked at my little sister, it was then that I realized I hadn't seen her in over two months.

She had gotten lighter brown lowlights and two more piercings on both of her ears.

I watched as she moved the ice bag from bruise to bruise, I felt my eyes begin to well up with tears as she looked up at me. "Please...don't cry." she said

"I-I can't do that. How could someone do this?" I said getting on my knees and holding her hand.

"Please don't."

I shook my head and pulled my cell phone out of my pocket

"No-no Tessa what-what are you doing?" She chocked out.

"I'm calling the police." I said looking at her, tears welled up in her eyes as she shook her head profusely.

"Please-please don't."

"No! Kirsten stop! This needs to be reported, he needs to go to jail!" I said standing up and dialing the number.

My hands shook as I typed in 9-1-1. I looked at my sister who had her face covered, her tangled hair hung over her face.

"9-1-1 what is your emergency?" Asked the operator. I had never had to do this, my voice trembled.

"My sister..my sister just came to my home. She's been beaten by her boyfriend. She has severe bruising on her arms and a cut on her cheek."

"Okay ma'am I'm going to send paramedics and police to your location right now. It'll only be a few minutes."

"Thank-thank you." I stuttered as I looked at my broken down sister.

I hung up the phone and pulled her into my arms "What happened Kirsten."

"We got into a fight. He was mad at me because I didn't want to go out drinking with him and his friends and he started yelling at me."

I trembled as I listened to her.

Less than 15 minutes later a knock came at my door.

"NYPD!"