Chp 28:

Nicolai:

I stack my paperwork together and place it into a folder on the top of my desk. "Mr. Piercy, you have a call on line one." My receptionist, Clarissa says. "Thank you." I click the button and pick up.

"This is Piercy." , "Nick, I need to talk to you about this." I tense and tilt my head back against my chair. "I don't want to hear anything. Goodbye, Eli." I hang up the phone with aggression and slip into my suit pocket then walk outside and lock my office up. "Mr. Piercy." Says Adriana one of my receptionists, I give her a nod of the head and take the elevator down to the parking garage.

Pulling up and parking outside of a tall glass building- I enter the building and go up to the third floor. Knocking on the double glass doors, it opens. In front of me stands a tall immaculately dressed business woman, she has shoulder length blonde hair and bright blue eyes. "Nick, it's so good to see you again." She extends her arms and hugs me.

I give her a smile and enter her office. "It's nice to see you too, Jillian." We take a seat in nice black leather lounge chairs; she crosses her right leg over her left and cups her hands together, looking at me. "What is troubling you, Nicolai?" I clear my throat and sigh. "He's back." Her eyes widen slightly. "When did this happen?","This morning." She writes down what I say and looks back up at me.

"Have you contacted the authorities?", I shake my head. "Not yet." , "You should do so, Nicolai." I run my hand underneath my jaw line and nod. "I know." My response is short. She frowns. "Does Tessa know?", I nod again. "Yes, I should never have brought her into this." It pains me to say this.

"What do you mean?", "She wouldn't have to deal with this-if...we weren't dating." , "Nick, no matter who you bring in your life, the-" I cut her off, "I know. They'll have to deal with my family no matter what." My tone is ice cold. "She left.", "Who?","My mother."

"Nobody stays in my life.", "I find that difficult to believe. Tessa has.", "How much longer until she walks out on me as well?" Jillian frowns. "Nick." The tone in her voice is soft and comforting. "I can't keep people in my life.", Before she can say anything my phone begins to ring, I pull it out of my pocket and read the I.D. it's Tessa.

"Take it.", I stand and nod and walk out of her office, into the waiting area. "Tess?", "Where are you?" She asks curiously, I slip my right hand into my pocket, looking to my left at Jillian's office door and sigh. "I'm in a meeting...I'll be home soon." I say, why did I just lie to her?

"Oh okay...I'll see you soon." We hang up and I walk back into her office. "Nick, go home-be with Tessa." I nod and stand, giving her a hug-I exit. About thirty minutes later, I reach my building and take the elevator up. Entering the apartment, I see Tessa seated on the couch, she stands and turns to look at me. "Are you okay?" she asks.

I nod, "I'm fine." I lie. "My mom is coming back in town." She says with some hope in her voice. "Oh?", "Her friend is hosting a big celebration and I was invited, they said I can bring a date." I smile and brush a strand of hair behind her ear. "Will you be my date?", I laugh "Of course." She claps her hands together and grins. She was cute.

I watch as she saunters down the hall and into the kitchen, following her-I lean against the counter top and watch as she begins to cook food. "When is this...event?" I ask raising my arm and scratching the back of my neck, "Tomorrow night." I nod. Part of me wanted to just stay home in bed.

~*~

Tessa:

He seemed sort of out of it. I set our food down and begin to eat, he kept silent. His long fingers tapped with repetition on the table. "How was work?" How was work? Seriously, Tessa? Says my subconscious. I didn't like the silence between us-it was uncomfortable; his green-gray eyes shoot up to look at me. "It was alright. Busy." He's distant.

Later that night as I wash the dishes, I notice a headline on the entertainment news channel. "Today, Nick Piercy, son of billionaire Robert Piercy and now co-owner of Piercy and Jansen Inc. was seen leaving a building in downtown New York City this afternoon."

"It is unclear who he was visiting in this building but an unnamed source says that he has been spotted with a blonde haired woman entering and leaving with her." I feel my pulse race and I click off the TV and stand still, not sure what to say or think. Tessa, don't believe this-those entertainment channels are always lies. I try and tell myself this but it doesn't help.

The sound of footsteps distracts my thoughts and I turn around to see Nick standing behind me, he wears dark gray Nike sweat pants and a white v-neck t-shirt. "Tessa?", "What's wrong?" my arms are folded and I look at the ground. "Where were you today? Really?" His eyes widen and he looks away.

"I told you I was in a meeting.", "Why do I find that so hard to believe?" I ask looking away. "What?", I click the TV back on and rewind back to the segment. He watches in disbelieve and turns to look at me.

"I can explain.", "Who is she?" My voice breaks. "It's not what you think.", "Then what is it?", he looks away again and exhales. "I-" No words come out of his mouth. "Nick?" I raise my voice slightly. "I'm not seeing her...I-it's-complicated." I step back and shake my head. "So complicated that you can't tell me?", "Tessa..."

Nicolai:

She looks pained, it pains me to see that look in her eyes-but I can't bring myself to tell her that I'm seeing a therapist, not now. "Nick?", tell her you idiot. "Who is she?", "She's a friend, a family friend." That wasn't a lie. "Tessa, please believe me...I'm not seeing her."

"Nick, I want to believe you..." I shake my head and I feel a lump sensation in my throat. Tell her! My subconscious is screaming at me now. "If I tell you then you'll-" she stares at me blankly. "Then I'll what?", "Nick, there is nothing that you can tell me that won't make me feel any differently about you.", "It involves myself, my family. I need help."

Tessa:

I exhale and look from the ground-up to him. I don't say anything, all I do is walk up to him and wrap my arms around his waist, my head resting against his chest, he places his hand on the back of my head and we stand there.

"There's so much happening, I can't comprehend it all. I needed somewhere to go and Jillian was the first person I called." , "And she's a...?" , he looks ashamed as he answers me "She's a therapist.", I look up at him and nod.

~*~

I hope you enjoyed! I am sooo terribly sorry for the late upload! The holidays and my schedule have been so hectic. But thanks to those of you that have understood! I appreciate it! The next chapter will be up next year!

~ Kiana