Chp 21:

Tessa:

I sat on the terrace and stared at him, a smile began pulling at the corners of his lips, his eyes were bright.

It was March 12th, I had not a clue as to how these last few months had flown by so quickly. I looked across the table at Nick who was scanning his phones screen, Nick took over his father's business and was now one of the head honchos of the company, ordering everyone around...and looking hot while doing it.

I was now the head event planner at the company that I was originally working for, the same one Nick now owned.

And Kirsten, my little sister was working two jobs, as a swim instructor at an indoor swimming center on the weekends and a receptionist for a magazine company-during the week.

"Do you mind passing me the bowl of grapes?" Nick asked pointing across the table. I nodded and handed them to him.

Even though it was sudden he and I had moved in together two months ago and we're living in his penthouse here in Manhattan, while Kirsten now lived in my old apartment.

"How did you sleep?" he said looking up at me.

I ran a hand through my messy bed head hair and yawned "Pretty well, and yourself?"

"Well."

We were silent for a few seconds as he read something on his phone. Ever since he had become the head of his father's portion of the company, he had been more serious, more focused. He made a great turn around.

He stopped partying, only every so often would we go to a club, he stopped drinking so heavily and his attitude towards everybody changed, he seemed like a new Nick, it was a wonder to me how that could happen in such a short time period but it did and I was proud of him.

His younger and only brother Elias, said that he was finally beginning to look and act like the adult he was supposed to be.

Nicolai:

"I never got the chance to ask you, what would you like for your birthday?" I said looking over at Tess, her brown hair slightly messy and her eyes bright.

She bit her lip and sighed "Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"Correct."

"And why not?"

"Because, I don't like it when people buy me things." She said trailing off, I frowned.

"Tessa, it's your birthday in a few weeks. I want to get you something." "I don't want anything." My lips became a straight line, she was being difficult.

"Fine." I said looking down at my phone, I couldn't help but smirk. She might not want anything but that wouldn't stop me from getting her something.

"Are you smirking at me?"

"No, why would I do that?" I said but I couldn't hide my humor. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing." "Liar" My eyes grew wide "Please, tell me" She sounded like a little kid who wanted something.

"Stop smirking at me" She said as she playfully threw a grape at my chest.

"You are such a child" I threw one back at her. She giggled "But for real, why were you laughing?" "I think I'll just keep it to myself." And with that I stood up and walked back inside.

She sat there, her mouth agape and her eyes wide.

She followed me inside and took a seat on my couch, propping her legs up on the arm of it and began scrolling through her phone, I frowned and walked over to her.