Chp 29:

Tessa:

I slip into a red slightly tight fitting dress and black high heels. Curling my hair, I apply a bit of makeup and spray the perfume Nick got me as a Christmas present-on me.

I turn to see Nick adjusting his tie in the mirror, he wears a dark navy suit with a dark navy tie. "You look handsome." I say giving him a warm smile, he smiles. "Thank you, you look like quite beautiful yourself." I blush.

"Thank you.", "Here." He turns to me and I reach up to help him with his tie. His eyes fixate on me and the pull between us is palpable. I finish tying it and take a step back to look at my work.

He smirks "You did pretty well." He looks utterly surprised, placing my hands on my hips-I flash him a pleased grin. "Shall we go?" I nod and we exit the bathroom, getting to the staircase, I take my shoes off and head on down.

Nick grabs his car keys, wallet, and cell phone. "What is this event for exactly?" , "It's to celebrate the launch of her new company." I say slightly shrugging.

The event is held in a large conference room in the Four Seasons. The building is beautiful inside and out, as we enter the banquet hall, I see eleven tables-they are covered with a pearl white table cloth, elegant looking glasses sit next to shiny ceramic plates and sleek silverware.

"Tessa, honey." My mom comes running over-as fast as someone in heels can run-to Nick and I. She extends her arms and hugs me

And then him. "I'm so happy to see you sweetheart. I'm sorry that I couldn't come visit you earlier." I smile, "It's alright." We talk for a few more minutes and then part.

I take Nick's hand and we begin to walk through the room, approaching our table, I see Kirsten with a guy I have never met before. He has slightly tousled brown hair and brown eyes. He stands and I can see that he's the same height if not a few inches shorter than Nick. "I'd like to introduce you to my boyfriend...Derek." I'm taken back by her comment. Boyfriend? What, when did this happen?

I can't wrap my mind around this, why didn't she tell me? "It's nice to meet you, Derek." Nick says; breaking my train of thought. "Likewise, it's a pleasure to meet you, Tessa." I give him a shy smile and shake his hand. He had a British accent. "Tessa, Kirsten."

My sister and I turn to see a woman with high cheekbones, blue eyes, and jet black hair. Susan. "Ah, girls I'm thrilled to have you here. Thank you for coming.", "It's our pleasure." She introduces herself to our boyfriends and then moves on to talk to the other guests.

"She seems rather...lively." I nod, "How is that woman fifty, she doesn't look a day over forty." Kirsten says abruptly. "Do I really need to answer that question for you?" my sister stands there, she looks to be thinking to herself until her eyes widen.

"Oh." We take our seats and I watch as Susan stands in the back of the room, she's handed a microphone and begins to speak. "I would like to thank all of you for being here tonight. It means a lot to me." I zone out as she continues on. The memories of the banquet I helped Nick's family with in the fall of 2014-come flooding back.

"Tessa." I look to my left at my sister, her face is now ghostly pale. Walking inside the room are a guy and a girl. The girl has light blonde hair, slightly tanned skin, and blue eyes, she's dressed in a gold sequined tight fitting dress that shows an unnecessary amount of cleavage and dons bright red lipstick. While the guy has a nice black suit and tie on, his hair is blonde and spiky and he has bright blue eyes and a sly grin on his face.

This could not be happening. My blood runs cold and my heart rate picks up. "Tess? You okay?" Asks Nick, I look from them to him. "Uh, yes. I'll be right back-I need some air."