Mission

They head out in tank like vehicles because the lions would draw too much attention. Keith's team consists of Pidge and Ryan with Lance having Veronica and Griffin.  Keith is already annoyed because Griffin tried to pair up with Pidge but Keith shut it down with a 'sharpshooter' in each vehicle, knowing Lance would jump on that bandwagon. Veronica raised an eyebrow, Keith looked away and Veronica ended up chuckling. He could feel his face getting red, so he jumped in the vehicle and said "Let's roll" Lance started laughing and said, "What is this Transformers?" Keith looked up and said, "What's that?"

Groans emerged from all around him and he looked at Pidge, "What?" She smiled at him, patted his shoulder and replied, "Don't worry about it." Keith shrugged and said "OK."

They traveled all day, cooped inside of their vehicles. It was tense, long and exhausting. For the Paladins, seeing the destruction of their home planet weighed heavily.  Everyone knew that this mission was important but the long hours trapped in a vehicle did not make thing easy. Finally, Keith said it was time to set up a camp. They found a relatively protected area based on coverage and each team hid their vehicle, then they set out to make camp.

Veronica and Pidge were in charge of communications, with the guys setting up actual camp. They were lucky that so far there was no interactions with the Galra but their guards were not down. In addition to Galra, they also had to be aware of hostile humans who were looking to take advantage of the chaos. Since it was nice out they basically had a tent for communication, fire in the middle and sleeping bags around the fire. They ate some dinner with Lance 'covertly' observing Griffin. Pidge stood stretching and said she wanted to walk a little, she was feeling antsy and needed to do something. Griffin stood and said, "I don't think anyone should be out alone, I'll come with you." Keith could feel his muscles tense and suddenly a bright light and there's Cosmo.

"Cosmo" Pidge exclaimed. She hugs him tightly and instantly feels better. She looks over to Keith with a soft smile and says, "Awww, this is just what I needed!" Keith relaxes and smiles. Cosmo is leaning against Pidge and it's the best thing he's seen in a while. Griffin make a move to take Pidge's hand and Cosmo growls. Pidge giggles, "Looks like Cosmo wants me all to himself!" As she rubs his side and Keith can't help but think me too.

As they settle in for the night, Veronica shares stories from Lance and her childhood, making everyone laugh. Cosmo is on Pidge's left with Keith on her right. James got pushed into first watch so he was out of the way and he could just lie here and watch Katie glow in the firelight. He felt so relaxed that his mind started to drift. Katie really looked so beautiful and he wondered if she had any romantic feelings for anyone.

While they were out in space fighting for their lives, romance really wasn't something he looked for unlike Lance. But, something about being back on Earth changed his perspective. It's like he suddenly realized that Katie was a vital part of his future in a way he never realized before. It's not just that they are close, but when he left with the Blades, he would find himself turning to ask a question or have to explain something when if she was there she would have known instinctively what he was going to do or plan. There was so much he just took for granted and Griffin's suddenly interest in her was like a spotlight on his deepest and hidden desires. Maybe she deserves someone better, with a family, who could make her laugh, knew sciencey things but damn if he is going to give her up. She looks over to him and raises an eyebrow...not now.