Morning

Keith wakes up suddenly. Heart racing. Body involuntarily contracting. Breathing fast and uneven.Before he even opens his eyes takes stock using his other senses. Did he hear something? What is going on? Sensing nothing he opens he eyes and sits up. He sees Kinkade on the ground in the tent so someone must've relieved him. Gheesh, maybe it was his snoring that woke him up. Keith gets up silently, grabs his boots and goes outside.

The suns was just barely up so it still is early. Keith adds a few logs to the fire that has shrunk and went to check on Pidge and Percy. He pokes his head in but no Pidge or Cosmo. Hmm, ok, looks like he's taking a walk. He sits on a log to lace up his boots and tries to come up with a way to find Percy's parents. The river is coming from up north so perhaps they loop around and figure out a city that is upstream. Honestly, what kind of parents loose their kid? Hopefully its just that and not that they are missing as well. Or maybe the simply head to the nearest town and see if there is any word?

He walks over to the lookout area and sees Pidge holding Percy, rocking, softly singing him a song. He observes carefully with a soft smile. No one would recognize this Keith, with a tender look on his face, eyes soft and calm. Pidge glances up and says, "Hey wanna hold him so I could, uh, use the facilities?"

Keith looks confused for a moment until her realizes what she needs. "Oh, of course, here hand him over." He reaches for Percy and hesitates for a minute, afraid that he's not going to want to be held by him. But Pidge with one hand takes his hand, and moves it under the little guy and she shifts her body next to his and eases his relaxed body onto Keith. They stay still, watching Percy to see how he will take the change. He looks at Keith and smiles. He pats his chest and settles in. Keith smiles, he chest filling with a warmth that is unsettling. He realizes he's never held a kid before. Slightly panicked he looks at Pidge and whispers, "I've never held a kid before!"

Pidge stands against him with Percy, gently shushing him. She looks a him and slowly eases away, mouthing "you got this". She leaves and Keith is left looking down at the little guy. He mimics Pidge's rocking, and marvels how he's okay with being in his arms. Granted the kid is falling asleep but still. Keith is amazed at how small the little guy is and his mind again goes to how can they find his parents.

He returns to thinking about how they are going to have to backtrack up the river to find a town or point of origin. He was hoping that the parents were looking for him and not hurt or worse. He also hoped that this would not take them too far off from their plan on finding the sleeper cells. He knew he was going to have to call back to the base, giving an update and considered how to best get what he wants. He knows Shiro and Mr. Holt would back him but it's not just their approval he needs. He needs the Garrison to back whatever he was planning and this meant he just can't wing it. Shit. Maybe he shouldn't ask and they should just do and then ask forgiveness later.

He could hear the everyone moving around camp and decides that he should hold a team meeting. He looks down at the little guy, who's got a ghost of a smile on his face. He looks up and thinks after everything he's been through he's going to make sure that smile stays on his face!

Meanwhile Pidge is getting herself ready for the day.Which simply means she has washed up as much as she can, goes to the 'facilities' and changes out of her sweats and layers. She was so cold after the whole ordeal yesterday that she kinda went heavy on the layers. But it seems as if the weather is going to be nice so she has to change. As she's doing this Veronica comes over and asks what the plan is.

Pidge replies, "Not sure. I kinda just handed Percy off to Keith and came to get ready. I'm guessing we are going to have to go back upstream to find his parents."

Veronica raises a brow, "So Percy???"

Pidge laughingly replies, "Yeah so, I love the whole Percy Jackson universe and he is a boy! So Annabeth won't work!"

Veronica smiles and says "Ohhh got it!! Yeah I read the series as well, personally I like Carter and Sadie better!"

"Of course you would...you and Lance are a scary sibling duo!"

Veronica laughs, "Yeah, except we are probably switched! I'm way smarter than Lance! But seriously, how are you holding up? Yesterday was a crazy day."

"Ummm, ok, it's no science test but it's definitely rates a low number on my scale. You would not believe some of the stuff that has happened to us!"Pidge replied.

They finally are finished and go to the campfire to see what is for breakfast. All the guys plus baby and space dog are all present. Keith looks up at me and makes a gesture with his free hand. I know he's asking if I want the little guy back but, honestly, I am starving. So I shake my head and walk over to the food. He nods and then we all turn to the group.

Kincade shakes his head, "Dude, you guys are weird, I swear you have whole conversations that no one else can translate!"

Keith smiles and says, "Yeah, we know. Okay, we need to figure out what to tell the powers that be what we want to do and how. I'm thinking we have to move upstream to find a possible point where some parents lost their kid. Any ideas on how to get approval for this?"

Griffin interjects, "Our mission is to find the sleeper cells. Shouldn't we keep moving as planned and when we get to the next town we can drop the kid off with the local authorities? I mean, I'm glad the kid is safe but we have a directive."

"No, absolutely not! Griffin, there are 'no authorities' like you are thinking. It's more like the Wild West out here and I'm not leaving the kid with somebody that I know nothing about! I was thinking we could move upstream and find a town. We could leave our big toys hidden somewhere then covertly go into town and get some information. We can say we found Percy and wanted to find his parents. While we are doing plan A we can also be on a reconnaissance mission to see if there's been any unusual activity. Two birds, one stone."

Keith nods and says that works for him. He offers to put it to a vote but everyone nods. Decision made, Keith states he's going to make contact with the base and that we should all start packing up. He leaves to go make the call and Griffin comes over.

"Hey, Katie, I don't want you to think I'm mad or don't care about the kid. It's just, sometimes the mission has to come first."

I nod slowly, "I understand where you are coming from. I just don't believe the two are mutually exclusive. I think we can find out a lot by going in a spies and getting read on the area. It will arguably save us time in the long run."

Griffin nods and agrees. He puts an arm around me and says, "Why don't you rest, I can pack up since it looks like we need to get moving soon."

I agree and go to sit on a hill off to the side. I know James means well but he's such a inside the box kinda guy...and I'm all about making a new picture. And while it's apparent that he can change his mind, it's still annoying to not be on the same page with someone.