Boys are Slow

In the tanks-Keith POV

Pidge, Kinkade and I are in the tank. It's relatively quiet. But I'm slowly realizing that being in the tank is not a win. We really cannot talk about anything private with Kinkade in here, plus he'd probably be on Griffin's side so it's better to keep him in the dark. So that pretty much messes with my original plan. Pidge is currently fooling around with a bot trying to figure out how to integrate a camera. Kinkade meanwhile is on the lookout for anything suspicious and is asking Pidge questions about turning the bot into a sort of drone for them and relaying video. I'm driving but it's pretty routine, which gives me too much time to think.

We get a call from Hunk asking for a status report over the radio. Pidge replies and then asks Hunk if the prisoners have let anything slip. Hunk says yes, there is a city or town coming up in a days ride. We need to avoid being seen and suggests our next stop for the night. Conversation starts about who should go in and what information we need. We agree to a vague plan and eventually silence reigns again.

I'm not uncomfortable with silence but I also want to gain some ground with Pidge. I felt like last night was good. But what does she think, and what the heck happened with her and Griffin? Does she like him? This is seriously driving me crazy and I've been lost in quantum space. Sadly, this doesn't even compare.

At camp, I preemptively have Kinkade and Griffin scout the area, hoping to get a minute alone...which is dumb because I have the McClains with me and they do not know how to be quiet!!

No one's POV

Darkness has settled on the small group. Arrangements for watch, done. Dinner, eaten. Camp, set. Lance has strategically maneuvered Keith and Pidge next to each other with himself at her other side. Ronnie gave him a look but didn't say anything out loud so he considers it a win. When suddenly his sister looks around the fire and says, "So I'm not tired, we should play a game."

Everyone looks at her and nods or agrees. Pidge questions, "But what game, we don't have any systems and I don't even have a pack of cards."

Lance interrupts, "NOT Blackjack!!! Pidge is a card counter!"

Pidge laughs, and Keith smiles at her. Griffin looks up, with a faintly disapproving glance. "Isn't that cheating?"

Keith retorts, "No."

Pidge rolls her eyes, "It's not cheating, as if I would even need to cheat, but it is frowned upon in casinos because then they lose their edge. However, if anyone is cheating it is the casinos. They stack their odds then convince suckers to play. Besides, I don't even have to count cards when playing with you Lance! You just suck!!"

Lance sits up and says, "No, uh uh, I don't suck you are just unnaturally good."

Veronica attempts to regain control if the conversation. "Ahem, as I was saying, we could all play a game. No drinking so most are out, but we could play truth or dare!"

Everyone just stares at her. A full minute goes by and Lance says, "Ronnie what are we in high school? Wanna play spin the bottle too?" He laughs but then...

Veronica replies, "well, I don't want to kiss you but sure why not?!"

At this point, chaos ensues. Keith wouldn't mind kissing Pidge but the odds were not in his favor. And he didn't want to kiss Lance...or really anyone but Pidge. He could feel his face getting hot though now that, the image of kissing Pidge was stuck in his head. He looked down at her, her mouth was currently open but her eyes were on Veronica. He could picture taking her hand, and pulling her close. He could almost feel her shiver and could imagine lowering his head, while brushing his thumb down her cheek. His abruptly took his eyes off her, to take a deep breath and saw Griffin looking at her. His body tensed and he looked down to his clenched fists. Hell no, that was not going to happen while he just sat and watched!

Lance on the other hand was livid. "WHAT?!?! The HELL??? NO absolutely not! Literally you might as well have said you want to kiss all the guys here except me and Pidge gets to kiss everyone but you!!!" He screeched the last part.

Veronica replied, "Well Pidge could kiss everyone here technically since she's not related to anyone" pushing her glasses up.

All the boys literally turned as one to look at her. Griffin finally said quietly, "So (clearing his throat) you'd kiss Katie?"

At this point, Pidge is feeling extremely awkward. She doesn't think she could kiss anyone with everyone watching. And Lance's sister?!? Heck no! What is going on here?

"All right, we aren't taking turns kissing so let's just go back to truth and dare." Pidge hoped she sounded authoritative and that everyone just agreed because she was feeling pretty flushed. Veronica immediately agreed and questioned, "Has everyone played? Raise your hand if you have."

(Basically her and Lance raised their hands while everyone else studiously avoided eye contact)

Veronica sighed, "Ok, but everyone knows the concept right?"