Town Adventures

Pidge POV

We are packing up to head back to our real camp-our real life. I'm back in my old clothes, which thank goodness are clean (but they feel tighter like they got shrunk) but there's no way I'm complaining. Mrs. Montgomery said something like, you will thank me later, but I already thanked her. Whatever, they were so dirty and stiff from being wet that I really don't care if she accidentally shrunk them. At least they smell nice.

As I got ready this morning it was all I could to to stop myself from thinking about how I rambled on and on last night. It's just that I couldn't sleep and I got restless with no lab to work in or a project to distract me. I'm not used to going to bed so early and as farmers, they go to bed early! Soooo I decided to go outside and look at the stars. Not a problem right?

Of course, Keith was up and outside as well. He's probably the next worst sleeper than me and I still don't know how I didn't anticipate it. *face hot* He asked how things were with James and I, and I felt rather flustered. I don't even know why. We aren't a thing, we aren't really dating or anything. But something about Keith asking about the two of us made me feel uncomfortable. Or it could have been the fact that I was walking around in a night gown. It covered everything but still. Or maybe the fact that Keith had on a T-shirt and shorts. Barefoot. I mean he had really nice legs. Shit. So I rambled. And rambled. I honestly couldn't even tell you what I was talking about, he must think I'm so immature.

Focus on now. We say our good byes, and Mrs. Montgomery gave us a bag of food for our travels. Which is so nice because I'm sure that food is in short supply for them so I know this is them thanking us yet again. I give Percy a hug and he squeezes me so tight it makes me remember how I used to hang on Matt. Again, Mrs. Montgomery gives me a hug and thanks me for saving her son. I shake it off, honestly, anyone would have done the same. As I move to leave, she squeezes me a little tighter and whispers, "Sweetie, another word of advice, when he catches you looking at him, don't look away! You'll be surprised at what may happen next! And don't forget what I told you yesterday!" I stupidly nod as again I feel my face flushing. How obvious am I?!?

We take a roundabout way back to the tanks and on the walk back it's pretty quiet. Even the Serrano sibs are quiet for a change, so I can hear some birds calling and I tried to center myself like when we were Olkarian. Kinkade is carrying the food which kinda makes sense since the guy can totally eat us out of our rations! But otherwise we don't have anything else in our hands. It's almost like the story we were telling everyone!

As we walk, I try to distract myself from my feelings by trying to figure out how to get up the mountain without announcing our arrival to our potential enemies. I plan a route that I think will work, using my memory of the maps and the new information we gathered. Again, try to focus on our main goal. We still need to find the sleeper cells ASAP because I can imagine that the Garrison is not happy with our little detour. Thank goodness Keith stuck to his guns.

Keith. Shit, I can't help but think about what Mrs. Montgomery said. Her advice. Basically yesterday we had talked while everyone was washing up and I was helping her with the laundry and drying. Percy was napping and I didn't want to make her do all the work herself. So Veronica was in the kitchen helping with dinner and the guys were helping with chores after they got cleaned up. While we were doing the laundry, she asked more about what happened and news from the other towns. It was nice just talking to regular people who didn't know who I was or what I had been through. 

Keith had come in and deposited the last of the dirty clothes and saw me on my tiptoes trying to hang the clothes on the line. Unfortunately the Montgomery's were a tall family. So it was not especially easy for me. Keith came around and nudged me aside with his hip not saying anything to interrupt our conversation. He motioned for me to hand him the clothes and he'd hang. Then after dinner I washed and he dried the dishes. Honestly, we just work well together. When we were in space, Hunk and Lance were tight and Allura and Shiro took over the leader roles. So it kinda left Keith and I paired up.