Chapter 24: Deal With the Devil

Chapter 24

Riker’s POV

Where the hell was Ross!?

He left two hours ago and still hasn’t come back. We decided to end rehearsals since we didn’t have our leading man. We went back home and since we didn’t find him there, I decided to go check at Laura’s.

I hopped in my car alone and drove to her house. When I got there, I knocked. A minutes later, when I was about to leave, the door opened. I turned around.

“Erh. What are you doing here?” She said, disappointed and kind of with a bitchy tone.

Vanessa.

As always, with her brightest attitude.

“Oh I was looking for Ross, but I guess he’s not here.”

“Well, you guessed right.”

Wow. I was really admiring her facility to be so rude to everyone.

“Can I ask you something before I leave?” I asked simply.

“What.”

“What’s up with attitude!? Aren’t you like… nice sometimes?”

“Gee! What don’t you look in a mirror before you open your mouth to shit on people!?”

“Oh please, Vanessa!” I started. “Do you remember the first time a saw you? And then at the celebration dinner for Ross and Laura? I have always been nice to you! I have never complained before! Now that I ask about your nasty attitude, you just shit on me?”

She didn’t say anything.

“I just wanted to know…” I finished.

She walked in the house since we were still at the entrance of the door. I followed her and closed the door behind me.

“Look, I’ve been through stuff. A lot. More than you know. Actually, hell of a lot more than you know. And in all I have been through, I realised that kindness and being sweet to people wasn’t going to get you anywhere. I met my Mom a month ago. I have never had a feminine model in my life, so I was always hanging out with guys. During my whole life, I was always one of the boys. It was never a problem and I really liked it, until, well-, until high school. Then, it was awful. After I got rejected by all the boys and all the boys’ sports teams-”

“Why didn’t you make the girls’ teams?”

“There weren’t any except for cheerleading and dance. Anyways. So after I got rejected by all the boys and all the boys’ sports teams, my Dad proposed that I would start and try hanging out with the girls. He told me to be nice to them, because it’s always better to be nice. So I did. The next day, I went up to the girls and asked if I could hang out with them…”

“Well… What happened!?”

“What do you think happened!? They were just standing there, laughing at me. Laughing about everything wrong with me. My clothes, the way I looked, my hair, my shoes, everything. And of course, I never hung out with them. But that’s not even the best part. Every day of that whole year, I was being teased. All the girls were picking on me and most of the guys were teasing me about everything! After that, I changed school, but it was always the same. Soon enough my attitude changed. I wasn’t nice anymore. I was beginning to be rude and act like a bitch to be respected. That was what I needed to do to be treated like all the other kids. After that learned I actually learned that I had a mother and she hadn’t really died of cancer.”