Chapter 31

After minutes on end of debating on how to approach her annoyed brother, Emery stood her ground and strode towards the back porch where Christopher sat with his laptop

"Hey," she reclined into the garden chair beside him. "So… Talia has a program tomorrow and I'll be helping her out. We could do with a chauffer. You up for it?"

"Is that why you came here?" he didn't even look her way as his sole focus was on his laptop.

Emery sighed. "I'm really sorry about earlier." She nudged him lightly but he only cast a glance at her and went back to his laptop. "Chris come on, I'm sorry."

"I'll always be a pain in your behind, live with it cause that's what big brother's do."

Emery rolled her eyes. "Don't complain when I return the favor. We little sister's can be a thorn in the flesh as well."

They both chuckled over the banter. Emery sighed in contentment, knowing she had gotten her brother on her side again.

"So, Dekker huh?" Christopher asked teasingly.

Emery rolled her eyes. Much to her feminist dismay, she had spent part of her day, if not the entire time thinking about the man.

Stop behaving like a high schooler. She chided.

"You know him then?"

"He may not recognize me but we met at the grand reopening of El Paradiso last year. Well, he's a decent dude. That is when he's not spying all the ladies in the vicinity." he added the latter part with a wink.

"Yeah right..." Emery drawled.

"So it's true then that he is the reason why you broke up with Nick..."

"What?"

"I really don't want to meddle, but Manuel was all over me the last time at the games. Claiming you cheated on Nick with some rich dude, and got him arrested when he confronted you about it. He was quite mad about the restriction order though."

Restriction order?

Oh my god, Billion!

Now she knew the reason why Nicholas had not dared to approach her after his arrest. The fact that Billion never mentioned it did not sit well with her though.

"Nick and I had some falling out after the fake engagement thing, and he got manhandling..."

"Wait, wait. Did Nicholas lay his hands on you?" Christopher demanded, his features stiffening by every second his sister remained silent.

"No! He was just very upset... Honestly, it was no big deal..."

"A no big deal that got someone arrested," he mumbled with a deep frown, not believing a word. He would have to ask Nicholas when he sees him at the gym.