Ch. 13

"Mama?"

"Yes dear?" Kwala replied, looking at her daughter.

"Do we have to go home when Daddy and the Pride come back?" She asked sheepishly.

"Yes darling," Kwala answered firmly. "You know this."

"But I love it here! It has so much food and water! Marie, Nyala, Auntie Tana and I all love it, and Daddy lives here too!"

"Nadra. This is not our home, so we are going back to our home and that's final."

"But—"

"Enough!"

Nadra sighed and walked away, tears glowing in her eyes.

Kwala sighed. Despite that it truly was beautiful in the Pride Lands, lush with life and love, Kwala knew she couldn't stay. It was only a matter of time until Uru found out about Nadra. No one would ever see her the same again.

Kwala looked up at the sound of footsteps to see Tana. "Kwala!"

"What?" She asked, a little surprised at her anger.

"What did you say to Nadra? She's really upset! When I asked what the matter was, she just said that you are mean and selfish."

"I am not! She asked if we could still stay in the Pride Lands once Ahadi returns, but I said no because this is not our home."

"Well, these lands are beautiful. We would have a Pride and a family, Nadra could be with her father and her siblings and maybe there will be another lion around here that has an interest in you. The girls will have loads of friends. We could make this our home!"

"So you agree with her?"

"Yes."

Kwala rolled her eyes. "I can't stand to see Ahadi with Uru, it hurts me too much, and what about Nadra? What will she think once she realizes?"

"Kwala, is Uru the only reason why you don't want to live here?" She nodded slowly. Tana huffed. "Then Nadra was right, you are selfish, you just want what's best for you! You don't even think about me and my cubs, let alone your own daughter!"

Tears came to Kwala's eyes as Tana stormed off. She lay there for a while before she heard more footsteps. "Back for more?" Kwala asked Tana sourly.

"No. Just to tell you that the Pride is back."

"What? They've only been gone for a few days. Also... what are we going to tell them about their cubs?"

"I don't know but follow me."

Kwala followed Tana down to the waterhole where she saw the pride walking towards them, led by Uru. Ahadi's large body frame followed behind the Pride. Kwala frowned. "What's with them?"

"None of our business," Tana said.

She spotted small figures next to Ahadi and another next to Uru. "Wait, aren't those Ahadi and Uru's cubs?"

"What?" Tana asked.

Kwala pointed to the small figures and Tana smiled. "I can't believe it! They made it!"

Kwala swallowed thickly as Uru, her head held high, approached. "Hello Kwala."

"You guys are back so soon, and with many more lions and lionesses," Kwala replied, noticing the increase in the Pride's numbers.

"Yes, it was a successful mission, or mostly." Kwala didn't question that as Uru went on. "The Pride Lands and Sunset Lands have officially joined together."

"I'm sorry I didn't keep a close enough eye on your cubs," Kwala said sincerely. "I turned for one—"

"It's alright, its not your fault. They are responsible for their own actions," she said calmly, eyeing her son who looked away.

Kwala nodded in thanks and Uru walked away, followed by the pride, leaving Kwala and Ahadi alone.

"Hey Kwala," Ahadi greeted.

"Hey," she replied. "Tough times?"

He scoffed. "Yup."

They fell into an awkward silence. They had never been like this before.

"I think it's best that we all leave in the morning," Kwala said.

Ahadi frowned. "What about Nadra? I want to get to know her and be a father to her."

"We don't belong here," Kwala said, temper rising.

"Kwala! You can't just take my daughter away!Does Nadra even want to leave?!" He asked angrily. She stayed silent. "I thought so." Ahadi hissed, beginning to walk back to Pride Rock. Kwala followed slowly behind him.
Once they reached Pride Rock, Kwala saw some of the lionesses sitting together and talking about their adventures. Others were grooming their cubs while some were resting from the long trip. It was... homely.

As they entered the crowded cavern, Kwala spotted Nadra. Once her bright blue eyes set on Ahadi, she got up and ran up to him. "Dad!" she yelled at the top of her voice.

Silence followed.

Kwala's heart skipped a beat.

When she looked around, all eyes were on her, all of them wide with shock. Some of them were whispering comments on in each other's ears and somehow, Kwala felt more alone than she ever have been.

"I knew it!" Someone hissed.

"She was in the king's bed!"

"Tramp," said another.

Kwala turned and fled.