Ch. 20

"You called?" Vita asked sourly, a scowl set so firm in his features one would think it was a natural expression for him.

His father, however, knew otherwise. "Don't give me that attitude! Now. How many more prides have we conquered today?"

"Three, Sir. In total, we have gained 18 lionesses. We lost 10 of our own during the fights," Vita answered stoically.

"That is... very disappointing."

"Sir? I don't understand. Our efforts—!"

"Are not enough," Kulani said calmly, too calmly, as he stood. Although old, his large body remained muscular and lithe.

Vita held himself a little taller as his father approached. He dared not make eye contact, staring straight ahead. "Many of the prides have heard of us and have fled. I expect they will be going up North towards the Pride Lands. However, we have gained enough territory for—"

"The Pride Lands, you say?"

Vita nodded slowly. Then his eyes widened. "Father, you can't think that we will be able to take those lands, do you? They are strategically placed, strong and agile! They can still outnumber us with enough resources!"

"Shut up, boy!" Kulani sneered, and Vita flinched back, biting his tongue.

Kulani moved backwards towards his patch of dirt in the corner of the cave. "I want the army divided to cover more ground. Take as many lionesses as required to outnumber the Pride Lands. I'll give you one week, Vita. One week."

"Of course, Father," Vita said obediently.

"You are dismissed."

Vita nodded and bowed before making his way to the entrance of the cave. At the entrance, he took a left down a trodden path to a large group of lionesses. There were nearly one-hundred now, a feat all on its own. As far as Vita knew, there had never before been a pride so large.

This isn't a pride, his mother's voice echoed in his ears. It's enslavement. The voice was right.

***

Since Kwala's return, refugee prides have begun to join the Pride Lands. With the number of lions and lionesses rising, Ahadi and Uru were gaining hope to win the coming war, but it was coming too soon — Kulani would not be unknowing of the prides fleeing.

Sarabi stood with his fiancé and his family, watching the prides gathering at Pride Rock. Mufasa smiled at her before his father began to speak.

"Lions and Lionesses, we are gathered here today to discuss a matter that affects us all. Kulani and his Pride of War," he declared into the silence. "I'm sure you all know that you are not safe here — none of us are. Kulani is coming to claim the Pride Lands just as he has with all your homes. You were all very wise to leave when you did. Kulani has been taking over prides for years now, has experience and power. Hopefully as a United Pride, we can end this madness once and for all."

The prides erupted with roars of agreement.

"We will need to train so that we are ready for him. We will need guards and scouts to patrol and warn us if they see them," Ahadi continued when it was silent. "And finally, if you see anyone that you have not seen before, guide them here. I'm sure you have all found caverns to stay at already. Please go back and get some rest while we talk with your leaders."

Perhaps, Sarabi thought, the war could be won.

***

"I will return soon," Zuzu's voice filled Sarabi's ears. She glanced outside the cavern to see Mufasa and Zuzu speaking before she flew off into the desert.

Sarabi sighed and stood, walking towards him and nuzzling her head into his mane. "How are you doing?"

"Okay, if one can even be so on the verge of destruction," he said with a dry chuckle. "Soon this will all be over. I hope."

"What do you mean?"

"We're still out numbered, if Zuzu's reports are correct. I... I don't know if we will survive this one."

Sarabi frowned, pondering his words. An idea clicked in her mind. "What if we could do it from the inside?" She thought out loud.

"Excuse me?"

Sarabi turned to him. "The lionesses that Kulani has recruited are enslaved, yes? If we can get in contact with them and devise a plan for them to attack from the inside while we do the same on the outside, surely we stand a chance?"

His eyes rounded and he smiled. "You're brilliant, Sarabi! Truly!" With that, he took off back into the cavern. Sarabi followed, nearly crashing into Mufasa's back as he came to a sudden stop before the king and queen. "Mother, Father. I think we've just found a way to win this thing."

"What?" Uru asked sleepily.

"What if we could infiltrate Kulani's army?" Sarabi cut in. "Turn them against him from the inside?"

The two royals exchanged glances before Uru grinned, standing. "You are going to be a wonderful Queen one day," Uru said with a smile.

"Get Zazu to round up the leaders. We need to discuss the new plans."

***

"How are we going to do it?" A lion asked as the debate went on. Hours seemed to have passed and they were no closer to winning the war.

"We could send in spies that report back to us by speaking or signalling to Zuzu," Sarabi offered. "They can try to convince the other lionesses to help. We wouldn't need many, just two or three." They looked at her as though she had grown a second head.

"That's too dangerous! They could be killed," a lioness spoke.

Sarabi nodded. "I know. That's why I'm going."

"Sarabi, no! I forbid it," Haki protested.

"I am the future Queen of the Pride Lands and the Princess of the Sunset Lands," she said pointedly. "I will not sacrifice the lives of my pride without putting myself on the same line."

"Sarabi, what if something happens? What if you get hurt?" Mufasa near begged.

"It's my choice," she answered.

***

"Fine, I'll help you," Sarafina sighed, "but only because you're my best friend."

Sarabi smiled, "Thank you."

"You're an idiot though."

"Bravery, stupidity — same thing."

"What about you, Nadra?" Sarafina asked, turning to the other lioness. They were still butting heads, but it had become the least of their problems.

She nodded stiffly. "I need a little distraction."

Sarabi grinned. "Wait for me below Pride Rock once we see Zuzu has returned. We'll leave under the cover of night."

And leave they did.