Ch. 15

Eight years later.

Nala waited patiently in the long grass, watching the herd grazing so peacefully that she almost didn't want to disturb them. It's cruel really, how fast life passes. But hey— girl's gotta eat, right?

Digging her claws in the ground, Nala lifted her haunches and pounced. The herd scattered quickly to get away from the danger, running in every direction, and in the chaos one was separated— an old zebra with greying stripes and a wrinkly muzzle. Nala ignored the guilty feeling in her gut and made another jump, this time landing on the old female's back. She whinnied in fright and kicked her back legs out but Nala held on tightly, sinking her claws deep into the zebra's flesh.

Halia quickly joined her, along with Sarafina and Sarabi. Together, they brought the mammal down.

"Make the kill, Nala," Sarabi said, standing over the beast as the other two held it down.

Nala swallowed and nodded. She'd done it before, she could do it again.

She circled the beast to it's neck. She dared not look in its eyes lest she see herself in it's reflection. She prepared to make the kill.

Nala!

Simba's voice echoed in her mind as she did it. The animal fell limp in her jaw but her memory was coming to life. Why did her first hunt have to be today? Today of all days? Her and Simba's shared birthday...

So where are we really going?

An elephant graveyard.

Stop, she told her mind.

She released her kill and stepped back, looking up at Sarabi, her godmother and her queen. Nala could tell by the redness in Sarabi's eyes that the queen was feeling the same way which she was— worse, even. After all, it was her dead son's birthday.

One day you two are going to be married!

Ew! Gross!

I can't marry her, she's my friend!

Yeah, that'd be too weird!

"Well done, Nala. You have passed your test," Sarabi smiled tightly. "Though, of course, Zira will have to approve it..."

They glanced out of the corners of their eyes at the hillside where Zira sat, watching them. Queen Zira. Nala scoffed internally. The only good thing Zira had ever done for the Pride Lands was leave for her "ambassador" trips. Whatever that meant...

"Of course," Nala muttered. "I don't think she'll approve. I should have done it alone."

"No," Sarabi cut in. "This is what it was always meant to be— teamwork. No lion can live without the love and aid of their pride. Zira is no different— nor are you."

"Sarabi is right, Nala," Sarafina, Nala's mother, said. "Your father would be proud."

Nala nodded, though the words didn't make much of a difference. She didn't remember much about her father at all, not even how he died.

"Come," said Sarabi, "it's time we get back to Pride Rock."

Together, they dragged carcass back across the fields. With the muscle of four lionesses, it wasn't very heavy. However, it's weight seemed to double as the hyenas caught the scent of its blood. They all rallied around Pride Rock as the den came into view, mouths watering and hungry laughter echoing. Nala hated hyenas with a passion. They killed her brother, after all. They ignored the hyenas and continued up to Pride Rock where the others were waiting patiently and with decorum, unlike the brutes beneath their home. Scar and Zira were in front, their young son Nuka playing at their heels. He was the only cub his age— no one had dared have any more after one lioness's whole litter was mauled to death, having strayed too far from the den.

"Well done, Nala," Zira hissed, head held high.

She nodded and moved away, sitting beside Halia as the king and queen and young prince started to eat.

"That's probably the nicest thing Zira has ever said to you, you know," Halia whispered.

"I know," Nala answered. "It's weird."

Soon, Nuri joined them. He, like Nala and Halia, had grown much over the years. His mane, a dark chocolate brown, was beginning to fill in and his shiny violet eyes continued to glow, even as the sun started to set. Out of the corner of her eye, Nala could see Halia blushing in his presence. She smirked.

"Good hunt?" Nuri inquired. He, himself, was glancing at Halia despite his conversation being with Nala.

"What do you think?" Nala said. She was really trying to contain her smile. It's not every day that one sees love blossoming in the Pride Lands. The land is too dry for that sort of muck.

***

That evening, as Nala settled in for sleep beside her mother and Sarabi in their own den, her mind began to wander once more. She recalled the day she, Halia and Simba played in the Mbali fields with their friend, Themba the elephant. That herd had since fled the Pride Lands, rightfully so. She had never had as much fun as she did with her friends that day.

Her attention was quickly taken, however, by movement. It was odd; no one leaves the den at night, not since the lioness Marie was killed while having a drink of water. Nala had had nightmares for months afterwards. Her screams had echoed throughout the lands... her blood was stained on the rocks until the rain fell.

How many had been lost?

Too many.

Squinting her gaze, Nala was surprised to find that it was Nzuri, the princess and Simba's other aunt. Secretly, Nala preferred Nadra. She was calmer and nicer whereas Nzuri was very stressed and stern and snappy. Nala knew it was not intentional but it did not help her case in the slightest.

Nzuri wasn't alone whilst sneaking out. Nuri's mother, Nyala, was with her. And Kwala too.

Huh?

Despite really wanting to know, Nala's fear and rational thinking kept her seated and still. She knew her mother could not take it if another member of her family was killed— no. Not after losing Nala's father, her brother and uncle's murders and her grandmother, Sifa's, passing. It would be too much for Sarafina. Nala was taking no chances.

She sighed and settled back in. She would have to do some investigating in the morning.