Ch. 12

Everyone was unhappy with the new cycle where both lions and hyenas live in the same territory. Animals were frightened, especially for their young ones who played in the grasses that were now constantly roamed by hyenas. Secondly, the atmosphere around our once prosperous pride was dull and lifeless. We were sad and scared. No one in the pride was happy, with the exception of Scar and Zira. For them, it seemed as though a miracle had befallen our lands.

An ear-piercing, gut-wrenching scream suddenly split through the air. It sounded like death, to put it simply.

"What was that?" Mheetu asked warily, percking his head up to the entrance of the cavern where the scream had entered. Everyone did the same, ears folding back in concern and fright.

"Mommy, what's happening?" Nala questioned, a small quiver in her voice.

With no answer to give, Sarafina looked over at Sarabi. She, too, looked out at the darkness, her eyes still puffy and red and her fur stained with tears. It had been a difficult week for her.

"Mheetu, stay here with your sister and the others. Do not come outside under any circumstances," Sarafina instructed firmly as she got to her feet. He nodded, standing right at Nala's side. "I love you both."

The two slowly made their way outside into the cold night. The grass cracked and crinkled beneath their paws, the dry season was approaching earlier than usual. They entered the cool night warily, looking around for any signs of hyenas.

"This way," Sarabi pointed them. In the distance, there was loud maniac laughter coming from the shadows.

A crunch in the dirt made Sarafina stop. "Sarabi, wait!"

The queen stopped just in time. Four hyenas stepped out into the path as the two lionesses ducked behind the rocky wall. The mouths and paws of the hyenas were drenched in fresh blood.

The tension was unnerving. Neither Sarafina nor Sarabi moved an inch.

"That was too easy," one of the hyenas cackled.

The lionesses exchanged glances, both wondering the same thing.

They each let out a breath when the hyenas were gone from view and the sounds of their laughter had vanished into the night.

"That was close," Sarafina whispered.

"Too close," Sarabi added. "We need to find out what happened."

"Sarabi—"

"Go back to the den if you want," the queen said stiffly and walked off down the path. Sarafina sighed. She couldn't let her go alone.

They continued down to the bottom of Pride Rock. The silence made them uneasy. The smell of blood made it worse.

"Where is it coming from?"

"I don't... oh no," Sarabi murmured.

Sarafina turned to follow Sarabi's gaze, but soon wished she hadn't.

Marie.

Dead.

"What is going on down here?" Scar's voice boomed from on high.

Sarabi and Sarafina looked up, watching Scar desperatly. How could he let this happen? He's the king, he should be protecting them! This is why hyenas were exiled from the Pride Lands in the first place!

"Scar," Sarabi spoke, her voice trembling slightly but otherwise as strong and steady as always. "You have to stop this. Look at what has happened!"

Scar walked down the path towards them, his head held high. He looked over Marie's body and grimaced slightly. "It was not I who allowed this to happen to her," he stated simply. "I do not have control over what the hyenas do or do not eat. Rather, let this be a lesson to the rest of you. I suggest you learn from it. Now get back to your den before you become dinner too." With that, he turned and walked back up Pride Rock, leaving the two gaping after him.