Ch. 14

Soon, a year had gone by. It seemed so long. Everything had changed.

King Scar's rule was frightening. The rain came on days few and far between. Herds, fearful for their survival, started moving away. Hyenas roamed all around, free to take and do what they please without consequence. Lions moved down the food chain.

Yet, life went on. The young ones continued to grow just as the sun continued to rise. Mheetu was one of the ones who had grown. He nearing the age of a young adult, no longer the young cub who used to race through the fields with his little sister. His fur had darkened and a small portion of a mane was beginning to grow. His eyes shone bright lime green.

Nala had grown as well. Although she was still very young, there was age beyond her years to be seen in her eyes; Scar's rule has forced her and all the others to grow up far too quickly, always looking over their shoulders, always alert, always fearing the worst had happened to those they loved.

"Mheetu!"

The young lion turned, eyes flickering in recognition. "I'm here, Maua!"

A few seconds passed before Maua appeared from the tall grass. "I've been looking everywhere for you! Nala said you didn't show up to go on a walk with her," Maua said pointedly.

"Oh," Mheetu grimaced, looking down at his paws, "right."

Maua sighed and jumped up onto the rock where Mheetu sat. "Talk to me," she said, "you don't just randomly forget about activities with your sister."

"I know," he said softly, "I just needed some space. It's been a year since the stampede, I know I should be consoling her but... I don't know."

Maua hummed in response, resting her head on Mheetu's shoulder.

His frown grew to a smile as he looked down at her, watching her eyes drift closed. "Are you falling asleep?"

Her eyes shot open and Maua shook her head dizzily, "Of course not!"

Mheetu laughed, "Sure."

"Would you ever want to leave this place?" Mheetu then asked hesitantly.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean leave the Pride Lands. Get away from the hyenas and Scar and all this-" he looked around at the land. It was quiet and dry from the drought that plagued it. Even from here they could smell dead carcasses left by hyenas. "Leave all this death behind. Start a family one day, away from this mess."

Maua sat up straight, "You want to leave?"

"I... I do. I don't want to live in fear forever, Maua. I don't want this life for myself, or anyone else I love."

Maua looked away, her eyes sad. "You know the pride won't leave. Scar won't let anyone go."

"I know," Mheetu sighed, "That's why we can't tell anyone! We have to figure out a way to get out of here without anyone knowing. Run away."

"It would be impossible, Mheetu! The whole pride can't possibly sneak away without being caught, that's obvious-" she stopped, her bright blue eyes slowly looking into Mheetu's. "You do know that... you were planning on leaving everyone else behind."

Mheetu spoke in a hushed tone, "Maua, it's the only way I can ensure my family's safety. The rest of them will have to figure it out on their own. My mother, Nala, you, me and your parents, we can get away from here, find a new home, live happily-"

"How can you do that!" Maua suddenly shouted, standing on all fours and glaring. "How!"

Mheetu huffed, looking away from her as his anger bubbled. "I told you, it's selfish, but it's the only way!"