Ch. 25*

Mufasa's POV:

I paced the cool ground of Pride Rock, anxiously waiting for Sarabi to arrive back. I miss her. Lately I've been so busy with my duties and this war that we haven't had a lot of time together. I'm afraid, more afraid than I've ever been... and maybe ever will be. I'm scared that she'll get in trouble with him... or worse. Everything's been so stressful around here lately, with the oncoming war, the refugee prides, Taka's -or Scar's- leave, the wedding, king training, everything. I haven't had time to even rest, I swear I'm sleep deprived. And my mother... well, she's kind of heartbroken about my brother although she does not show it, and my father has completely turned against him. He literally disowned Taka, saying that he never loved him and he was a worthless lion from birth. Luckily mother wasn't around to hear that.

"Mufasa?" A voice came, drawing me out of my thoughts. I looked up to Ishara, his light peach fur and a brown colored mane littered with sand and dark bags under his lime green eyes, showing that like me, he hadn't been sleeping since Sarabi, Sarafina and Nadra left.

"Yes Ishara?" I sighed as I sat down, my four large golden yellow paws hurt from the pacing.

"Has there been any sign of them?" His voice was stained with desperation to know if Sarafina was safe. They had become very close over the past few months, I even think they are together. "No." I sighed, shaking my large head, making my bright red mane ruffle around my face. I turned and looked into the distance blankly, thinking.

My red eyes squinted into the distance to see two figures. They were just a blur but clear enough to make out. I let out a small gasp and tensed a little, drawing my friend's attention.

"Mufasa? Is everything alright?" He questioned, his head cocking to the side.

"Ishara, do you know where my father is?" I asked abruptly, still staring at the two figures. I knew the one all too well but I had no idea who the other was.

"He's securing the border with the Queen... why do you ask?" I finally looked back at him and told him to follow my view with my eyes. He did so with confusion but that soon turned to rage. "What's he doing here?" He asked more to himself than anything. His body looked tense and his eyes showed his heart, filled with pain.

"Let's find out." I said calmly, walking to the rocky slope followed by Ishara. We walked towards them, meeting them in the middle.

"Brother." He greeted slyly, an unwavering smirk on his face. Not for one second did I take my eyes off his green ones, even to look at the lioness beside him.

"Why are you here Taka?" I asked with a touch of anger, though unlike Ishara, I was relieved that he was alright.

"My name is NOT Taka!" He roared, his dark red fur stood up a little with rage. The scar on his eye seemed more visible now than ever before.

I sighed, "Why are you here?"

He took in a few breathes, regaining his composure before continuing. "Zira here needed a favor, one which can only be fulfilled here." He said, glancing to the lioness beside him. I followed his gaze to her, she had a brown stripe running down from her forehead to her middle back, and her fur a light shade of brown with a tint of grey. Her eyes were much like mine being a red color except hers were filled with admiration and perhaps — even love — as she locked eyes with my brother.

I nodded to Scar's statement and focused on the other situation we had. "Why come now? We are on the brink of war with Kulani and an army of thousands of skilled lionesses. Sarabi, Sarafina and our sister are out there right now risking their lives for the Pride Lands and you show up here to do a favor for a rouge lioness?" I hissed, trying to contain myself. I was honestly surprised at his emotionless expression. No fear had entered his mind at the thought of Sarafina in harms' way.