Ch. 21

The desert was a wasteland unlike Scar had ever seen: endless and brutal, unforgiving of mistakes. It stretched on in all directions. Scar had no idea where he was going, but he knew he had to keep moving. If not, the war would surely catch up to him.

News spread fast, even in the desert. Survivors had spread the word, and Scar was grateful. As long as he kept moving —moving away from home, that is— the war wouldn't catch him; the lion Kulani, an old foe, would never find him.

Scar stopped for breath. He looked up, knowing he would see nothing but more sand... but in the distance, there was a patch of green.

Everyone knew of the Lost Oasis; of course, however, it was Lost. No one Scar knew had ever entered and returned. He sighed. Scar was officially lost.

Thirst clawed at him; his throat was as dry as the sand beneath his paws. Without further thought, he started towards the jungle. It's green colors acted as a beacon, even when it turned dark.

When the moon began rising, Scar reached a river. Under the safe cover of the leaves and brush, Scar settled to take a drink and rest. However, before he could get more than a few sips of water, his ears pricked.

"Help! Somebody!" He heard a raspy voice cry out.

Eyes widening, he ran up the river to where the voice was coming from and looked down into the dark water: a brown paw was floating down into the water, drowning.

Scar jumped in without hesitation. Though pitch black in the deeper end of the river, Scar pushed forward until he brushed against flesh. He grabbed her and swam up and up and — air.

They coughed and spluttered together as Scar dragged them both to the bank. The water shot out her mouth and nose in dubious quantities that made Scar concerned. "Are you alright?" He asked when he had caught his breath.

The lioness, a pretty young girl with soaking fur and a brown stripe tracing down her back, turned to look at him with large brown eyes. She took another breath before nodding, "I'm fine. Thank you...?"

"Scar," he said, nodding in acknowledgement. "And you are?"

"Zira. My name is Zira."

"What happened?" Scar asked next. "Why were you in the water?"

Zira seemed to blush under his scrutiny. "I-I was walking through the desert, found a river. I misjudged the stability of the bank and, well, you know the rest. How did you find me? Why did you rescue me?"

Scar chuckled. "No need to sound so suspicious, Zira. I was merely passing by when I heard your cries."

"I wasn't crying," Zira snapped, then looked down. "I'm sorry. I'm just not used to being rescued."

Scar huffed, raising a bemused eyebrow. He sat back, watching the mysterious girl reveal herself. "I gathered," he stated.

"What about you? Why is a lion like you out here in the jungle all alone?"

"This is where I tend to take refuge from the war," Scar said simply. "It is the Lost Oasis, after all."

"A war?" Zira asked with wide eyes.

They sat in silence for a few moments until Scar asked, "Would like to join me?"

She nodded. "That would be... good."

***

"I'll race you there!" Zira challenged as she began to run through the trees, leaving Scar behind. He laughed and ran behind her, catching up quickly with his longer legs. They finally stopped atop a waterfall and Zira led the way down, confidence in every step. She was a good few years younger than Scar, but certainly didn't act like it. He followed her down and they both lapped up some of the clear shining water before beginning to look around.

"This place is amazing," Zira said softly. "I haven't seen a place this beautiful in years."

Scar looked over, puzzled. "My home looked like this," she explained, "it was lush and green, just like this jungle."

"What happened?" Scar wondered aloud.

"My family was murdered. That's all I wish to say about it," she said coldly.

Scar nodded, his scar tingling. "I understand."

"What about you?" Zira asked softly.

"I'm... well, technically I'm a prince. The prince of the Pride Lands."

"The Pride Lands...? What? What the hell are you doing out here?" Zira asked, eyes wide.

"I lost the crown," Scar said bitterly. "It belongs to my brother now. I have nothing left there."

"So, you wanted to be King?"

Scar nodded. "Doesn't everyone?"

"Why did you let him take the crown? Surely you could have earned it somehow."

"The only way for me to become King is if something happens to Mufasa and he is unable to rule," Scar scoffed. "No way that could happen. My brother is untouchable."

"Well, then you have to work around it," Zira said.

"What do you mean?"

"You have to kill him."

"What?"

"It'll be our little secret. Besides, it's not that hard. I can repay the debt I owe you for saving my life. It's the only way to get what you want," she said.

The only way.

***

"Whats going on here?" Vita asked the lionesses, pushing through the crowd.

"General Vita. These ladies have come to join us, they are all skilled fighters who have been training all their lives," a lioness spoke. Vita nodded his head. "They want something in return, Sir."

Vita turned to the newcomers. The leader was obvious, with a large scar cutting across her face. She bowed. "General, if you allow us to work by your side, we will be your most loyal fighters. Just let us kill one lioness."

He nodded, "Of course. My father will be happy to have skilled warriors fight along side him."

"What is his goal?" She asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"What land does he want to conquer most of all?"

"The Pride Lands. Why?"

She grinned and Vita could feel terrible bumps run across his skin. "Perfect," she said.

Vita sighed. "What's your name?"

"My name is Vitani."