Slow Morning (Shouta's P.O.V)

The sound of an alarm clock muffled in my ear, disrupting an utterly, unusual dream. Sluggishly, I slipped an arm out of my sleeping bag and shut it off. My dark, matted hair fell in my eyes as I grabbed the clock. Taking a glance at the time, I knew I needed to get up. Like every morning, I groaned as the bones in my body awoke with snaps and pops. As usual, I received an instant message from Hizashi. I rubbed my sleep deprived orbs as I rolled out of bed to read the greeting: "YO, YO! Good morning, Eraserhead! Hope you had a great sleep! Get ready for training with the students and All Might today!". I cocked a brow. All Might wasn't he off today? I rolled my eyes and set my cell phone aside. A painful, dry cough emerged from my throat as I got to my feet. Placing a hand over my chest, I knew today I had a doctor's appointment. I've had this awful cold for a month now, I haven't been getting any better, I thought to myself as I stepped into the bathroom. 

   Taking a glance into the mirror, I saw the face of a ghoul. "Hmph.." I spatted under my breath. Turning the faucet on, I rinsed my stubbly face. The prickly feeling against my hands gave me shivers up my spine. I didn't feel the same as I used to. Sure, I've always been a lazy insomniac, but things just haven't felt right. I pressed a fist against my chest as another harrowing cough scraped my throat, "This damn cough.." I said to no one in particular. I shook my head and brushed my teeth. Afterwards, I got my things together and slipped on my boots. I then decided to call Hizashi. I was never one for calling into work or even missing a day if I was permitted, but I had scheduled an appointment that I couldn't miss. I waited patiently as the phone rang in my ear. Suddenly, an obnoxious voice transpired from the phone, "OWW! Hey there, Shouta! My main man! What's goin' on?!!" The shrieking blonde spoke. I groaned and pulled the phone away from my now damaged ear, "Hizashi, pipe down. It's too early to hear your yammering," I stated sternly, "Listen, I won't be at U.A. today. I've got a doctor's appointment. Let my students know" I said. It was silent for a moment, then I heard, "Sorry about that! I dropped my phone on my way into the building, "Hizashi laughed, "Now, what was it you were saying?" He asked. I groaned and slammed a hand against my forehead, "I have a doctor's appointment. I will not be at U.A. today, tell Class 1-A." I repeated, agitatedly. Hizashi agreed and would deliver my message to the class. 

   I dragged my feet as I left my apartment. As I walked down the streets of Hosu, I glanced at the U.A. Academy. A slight grin crept over my lips. It was strange, but it always gave me this fuzzy feeling stepping into that place. Even when I was a student, it was almost welcoming. I would imagine Toshinori felt the same, he's always grinning anyway. I rolled my eyes. I've never seen eye-to-eye with that man, especially when it comes to working with my students. As I made my way to the general hospital, I shoved my hands in my pockets. My appointment wasn't until 8:45, but I usually hit the snooze button. I decided to walk around for a bit. Maybe wake up some. I could picture the look on Midoriya's face when Hizashi would give the class the news. The boy had grown so attached to all of his teachers. I wasn't one for affection, but Midoriya and Hizashi always seemed to get past my hard shell. While I was thinking, this flash of fatigue struck me. I stopped walking and hunched forward. The back of my throat had a metallic taste, I knew what was coming next. I coughed roughly into my arm. Just as I suspected, a string of blood traced down my chin. I collected myself and wiped the blood from my face. That had happened more than once in the past week, and I didn't even think twice about it. 

   I sighed heavily as I stepped foot in the main entrance of the hospital. The odour of bleach corrupted my nose as I trudged over to a nurse, sitting in front of a computer. I spoke up, "I have an appointment today, with Dr. Minoru." I rubbed my eyes. The nurse perked her head up and stared at me with wide eyes. I could sense she felt intimidated, perhaps even uncomfortable. I'm commonly revered to as "hobo" or "underdressed", but what's the point of dressing up for no reason? The nurse turned away, "W-What's the name, s-sir?" She responded. I rubbed the back of my neck as a yawn escaped my lips, "Aizawa Shouta" I answered. The nurse gave a small nod as her delicate hands grazed the keyboard. I waited patiently to hear the rest of what she had to say, though all that ventured my mind was sleep. My eyes became hazy as I stood there. The walls felt as if they were closing in and the lights seemed to flicker. I blinked rapidly trying to cease the made-up reality. Faintly I heard a voice, the voice of the nurse. I shook my head and looked down at her. She looked concerned, "Room 129, sir" she repeated slowly. I felt dazed, but came to my senses and nodded, "Right, right.. Thank you." I replied, making my way toward the designated hospital room. I guess I didn't really need to schedule a doctor's appointment. I could've always just gone to Recovery Girl, but what if there could be something seriously wrong? I shook the thought out of my head. "It's just a minour cold..." I told myself. Feeling lost and confused as I journeyed through the tangled halls of the hospital, I came across the nursery. A nurse was inside, tending to the newborn babies. It was actually quite heartwarming to see. "Which one is yours?" I jolted and glanced to my left. A shorter woman, maybe in her late twenties was smiling before me. I stuttered, "I-I was just looking for my room and s-stumbled across this." I said, averting my gaze away from her. The woman giggled and pointed, "That one there is mine." She gleamed, gesturing to a baby swaddled in a bright, yellow blanket. I nodded and looked back at the woman. It was quite awkward to be discussing babies with a woman. Yes, I have students, but I don't run a daycare. Though Bakugou acts like a 5-year-old a majority of the time, he's matured quite a bit. The woman gently set a hand on my shoulder, "If you really wanted, I think you'd make a wonderful father." She mentioned, sweetly. This made me flush and turned away, "T-Thank you.." I mumbled, not wanting her to catch the glimpse of pink dusted on my face. 

   Eventually, I had found room 129. I entered and took a seat on the examination bench. I shoved my hands in my pockets and waited for Dr. Minoru to enter. As I sat, I scanned the area. Posters of anatomy and medication lists hung in every corner. On the wall closest to the door hung Dr. Minoru's college diplomas. I continued studying the room until the door clicked and opened. I turned my attention to the man standing in the doorway wearing a white lab coat. He greeted me with a smile, "Good morning, Mr. Aizawa." He took a seat and held his clipboard before him, "So, what seems to be bothering you?" Before I could speak, a nasty cough surfaced from my throat sending an agonizing pain to my chest. Once again, more blood had spewed from my lips. I wiped it away with my sleeve, "I've had this cough for over a month and it just won't go away.." I responded, seeing how concerned the doctor looked. He nodded and wrote a few things on the clipboard, "Have you been taking any medication? Robitussin, NyQuil?" He waited for an answer. I thought, I know I had been taking Robitussin, but I couldn't think of the other medications I had taken. I nodded, "I've taken Robitussin and Advil for the headaches I've had recently." I remarked, feeling another cough below in the back of my throat. Dr. Minoru nodded once again and wrote more things on his clipboard, "Let me see what I can do," He stood, "First, I'll run some tests to see if you have a bad case of strep throat. Go ahead and open wide" He said, setting a wooden popsicle stick against my tongue. "Mmm.. your lymph notes look a bit tender." He stated. Dr. Minoru then took a cotton swab from a jar, took some saliva from the inside of my cheek, and left the room to examine it. I hated doctor's appointments, I always felt like a lab experiment. How long will this damn thing take...