Five.

My tired eyes squinted at the bright light as my hand was tugged ahead of me by Jay. I hid behind him as he unlocked the large metal door which had caged me in for weeks. The little sleek white pill had settled my nerves and the constant voice in the back of my head. Those who came in to visit me seemed more at ease and seemed almost to trust me more. Jay had come in this morning, telling me that my week of pills had started to take effect and thus I was released from my room, like a bird being free again.

What do birds look like?

Jay had told me to keep my eyes closed as he led me out for the first time. Soft little sounds flooded my ears. Muted sounds of people talking, a bark far off, metal clanging, the gentle brush of the breeze. I felt at ease and I smiled.

"Ooo look at that! She smiles for the first time for us!" I heard Jay giggle from beside me. I guess he was excited, too.

"I'm just excited to live, I guess," I muttered in response as he slowly led me down the hall.

We swung off to the left and stopped as my ears caught the faint creak of a door opening. I stiffened, which Jay noticed and placed a gentle hand on my shoulder. "It's okay. It's a surprise!"

"Surprise?" I tilted my head in confusion.

He fell silent and eventually sighed. "Um, it's something that someone gives you that's unexpected..."

"Why would you give me a gift?"

"Oh come on! Remember, this is your second chance at life?"

"Oh."

Jay gently pushed me inside the room and finally told me to open my eyes. I obliged and was met with a happy "surprise".

The ninjas all stood before me in the most beautiful room. They were all smiling and waving and cheering from their places. Behind them was a room with a gorgeous teal blue painted on the walls. A soft bed was on the right wall, draped in a muted tan and beside it a small table with a lamp. On the back wall was a huge window which was pushed far into the wall so I could climb into the little nook and sit. Off to the left was a dresser with drawers all painted white with little black stars painted across the dresser. A tall mirror sat beside the dresser and a closet beside that.

I turned back to the ninja and smiled, absentmindedly wiping a tear away. "It's so pretty.... Thank you." They all smiled and Jay stepped foreward to wrap me in a hug.

"Cole and I painted everything, Zane and Nya picked out the colors and your bed, and Kai got all of your clothes. Lloyd was morral support."

"Hey!"

I nodded and went up to each of them and hugged them in turn. "Do not worry, Y/N. We will keep you safe here." Wu said as I came up to him after all of the others.

"Forever?"

He nodded and I smiled.

Jay and the others showed me around the rest of their home. They all seemed so excited to show me around and give me a new beginning.

"And this is the kitchen." Kai proclaimed happily, throwing his arms up in the air and spun to jesture to the room strewn with pots and pans. Zane snuck up behind me and smiled. "Jay suggested that we have spaghetti for your first proper dinner."

My eyes grew wide and lit up like wildfire. "Oh, yes please!"

"And maybe tomorrow, Jay and I could take you to the zoo?" Cole, the gentle giant, offered from my side. I nodded eagerly.

They continued to drag me to and fro, showing me everything they had, seeming so excited about it.

As they showed me the living room and their video game console, Lloyd pulled me off to the side.

"Sensei and I were talking, and we decided we need a few rules. So, we need to take precautions to make sure you are not found by those who had you before."

He paused, expecting me to speak up. They'll find out soon enough that I won't interject.

With a clearing of his throat, he continued on. "You will need a new name to go by. Tonight after dinner, Kai and I will have to change your hair. Legally, you are now my sister. Here." The blond handed me a small rectangular box which lit up when you pressed buttons on it. "That's your phone. You can use it to call any of us or send messages. That's it. No contact with anyone else other than us." I nodded.

Jay appeared at my side once Lloyd released me. "Fun sucker." he growled to Lloyd and flashed me a toothy grin as his ginger locks fell into his face. "New name, hmm? We'll have to find something that suits you, Y/N."

He slung his arm over my shoulders and pulled me close to his side. "Don't worry about it. Oh, totally forgot to tell you, but Zane said spaghetti is ready."