Two.

I came to, a pounding in my head. A large effort was put into lifting my head off my chest, to survey the cold damp room I sat in. My body ached and my head swam, vision blurry. It took a few moments before my eyesight caught up with what was really in front of me.

Realization quickly slapped me in the face, and tears flew to my eyes as I recalled what had happened.

I failed.

"No...

I had failed, and now they were going to kill me.

"No! No! NO! Nonononono! No!"

I pulled against the restrains holding me to the cold chair. My breath tore out my throat as I screamed, wanting to be free. My ankles and wrists were laced with pain each time I pulled. I choked on my tears, sputtering with each breath. Heart frantically beating in my chest, my mind raced with what punishments awaited me. I had never failed before, and though my hands were blood stained because of it, I never had to face punishment.

The door flung open, and I shrunk in my seat.

"No! Please! No no! I'm sorry! I'm s-so sorry! I'll do b-b-better next time! I'll kill them and you won't take m-m-my life! I'm sorry!! I'm so sorry..." I trailed into sobs, unable to see through my tears. I willed my shaking self still, to no avail. I waited. I waited for the harbinger of death to speak, yet there was only silence. 

But nothing came. No slap, no gun firing. Nothing.

I opened my wet eyes to see an old man standing before me.

"O-o-one? Please-please... don't. Please spare me... please... please..." I gasped and heaved to a point where I lost what food I had.

The old man just shook his head, his long beard swaying with the effort. "I am Wu. Tell me, who is it you work for and who you are."

"I can't- I can't! They'll k-k-kill me!" I shook my head, and pulled away from him as far as I possibly could.

"From what you were saying earlier, it sounds as if they already want to. We want to protect you."

The voice inside my skull hissed and growled in protest. You are not worth that. Die die DIE.

"N-no. There is no protection from them. Th-they're everywhere and no where all-all at once."

Wu sighed and looked over his shoulder to the one who was dressed in green, and he shook his head in response.

•••

"Has Zane been able to pull up any information on her yet?" Kai questioned to Wu.

The wise old man just shook his head. "Some, but not much. All we know is that she was registered as a missing person years ago at age two. Her name was once registered as Sasha Winston, born in Jumanakai and her are parents deceased."

"So we can assume she was abducted, correct?" Zane questioned with the tilt of his robotic head.

"Exactly that."

"How is Jay?" Came the question from Wu as he sat at the table before them.

"How am I? How do you expect me to be?" Jay quipped as he flaunted in the room, Cole behind him.

"He insisted we use the new Borg tech to patch him up." The older boy said with the roll of his eyes.

"Can I take her her dinner?"

Everyone fell silent at the question of Jay.

"Maybe..."
"She stabbed you earlier!"
"Seeing as how she acting towards you earlier perhaps it's not the brightest idea..."

The ginger rolled his eyes and prepared a plate anyways.
"You guys don't understand how to be proper guests!" He said with a chuckle and waltzed out.

I snapped my eyes open as the door squealed to signal someone's entrance, but I didn't look up to whoever it was.

"You're quite the talker!" Came the whiny voice and a chuckle.

I clenched my jaw together and stayed silent.

I just stabbed him, how is he in here?

Utterly confused, I looked up to see the boy with freckles dancing about his cheeks, a smile wide on his face.

He held a plate of beans and meat with a silver fork in the other hand.

With an awkward laugh, he noticed my gaze. "I uh... brought you dinner!" He set the plate in my lap and stepped back.

I pulled my hands up against the restraints to show him I couldn't do anything.

His eyes wide, he stepped forward to help. "Oh! Sorry..."

In a simple motion, he let me free and sat on the floor before me.

"I don't think we actually properly met. I wouldn't say stabbing is the nicest way to meet, so we can try over. Hi! My name is Jay Walker! Master-" I flinched at the word as he continued "-of Lightning!" He held his hands out and sparks flew between them, leaping from one palm to another. I watched, amazed and wide eyed as I practically swallowed all of the food at once.

Then, he looked up expectantly to me. As if he wanted to hear from me.

"I'm Y/N. I... think. They renamed me that. I'm not..." I held back the word and instead chose another one. "...able to do anything like that." I nodded to his hands, and he glanced from them to me.

"Also, please don't say that word."

"What word?" He inquired, tilting his head like a confused puppy.

"The M word."

He sat back and thought about what he had just said. "Oh... why?"

"Because I don't like it. I don't like what they did to me. I want to be something better. I want to actually live..." I trailed off, and stared at my scarred hands.

"We'll fix you up." Jay reached out and placed a soft but also scarred hand over mine. "You'll be better in no time."