Seven.

I sat beside Nya, a few feet spaced between us as we stared absentmindedly at the tv. I usually wasn't allowed to watch tv, but the ninja were out and Jay wasn't here to scold me. A light blue blanket hugged my shoulders and ruffled my hair.

The screen lit the room, brights lights flashing as the pictures changed and moved each second. Nya was silent, which was odd for her. As the tv switched to a commercial, she spoke up, breaking the silence.

"You know, he really likes you."

I frowned, confused. "Who likes me?"

"Jay."

I let out a soft "oh" and nodded. She paused before continuing again. "I used to like him."

I glanced up to her, observing her face as she watched the tv. "Like like him?" My voice was small and thin.

She nodded and I glanced away again. "You can have him back."

I flinched as she let out a laugh and huddled beneath my blanket. "That's not how it works." Nya replied, not seeming to care that I was hidden under a blanket. "He's never had eyes for me. I've seen the way he looks at you, though."

"I know. The scars make me look funny. People stare." I muttered, poking my nose out.

"How stupid are you?" I retracted my nose back into my hiding place. "He doesn't see the scars. He sees you. He sees you for who you really are."

I sat on the top of the roof, my back leaned up against the shingles. To my left, the sun set in a fiery ball of orange. Above me, the stars began to wake, yawning and stretching throughout the sky. The wind tussled my short hair and I couldn't help but sigh. I was still struggling to figure out this new world. Beautiful, yet so deadly and horrifying.

I sat up, eyes wide in terror as a tremor shook the building beneath me. With a gulp, I slid back in through my window and landed on my bed as another shook the house. My vision swirled as one word played on repeat in my head.

I shook my head to silence the voice, and clenched my eyes closed. My arms wound around my stomach, protective and safe. I bit my lip to keep from screaming, and my mouth was flooded with warm blood, giving off a metallic taste.

Submissive. Just be submissive.

What will be will be.

I was supposed to be safe here. I was supposed to be okay. They weren't supposed to find me-

My door flew open, and the house shook again. I heard the boards creak and the roof shudder above me, the building threatening to collapse.

I was shaken from my position by a hand, and opened my eyes to see Jay. His eye was bruised black and his lip was bleeding and swollen. Blood stained his once pretty blue suit, but his smile reached his eyes once he saw me open mine.

I couldn't hear what he was saying from the deafening rumble and roar thundering in my ears. The world around me was constantly shaking now, things falling from shelves and smashing on the floor. Jay scooped me up, holding me close to his chest. With one hand, he handed me a knife and gave me a horrifying look.

That word started again in my head, threatening to spill out of my lips, too.

Masters. Masters. Masters. Masters. Masters. Masters. Masters. Masters. Masters. Masters. Masters. Masters.Masters. Masters. Masters.

I stood, defiant and proud. They wouldn't break me.

Not this time.

Four yelled again, his voice an angry animal bark. My fist clenched at my sides as I resisted.

The voice inside told me to obey. To be submissive.

What will be will be.

From behind him, Four whipped out a knife, only to slash it across my face, sending me onto the floor. I rushed to cover my face with my hands, but they only came back oozing red. I heard a cry reach my ears and I curled up into a ball before realizing it was me. Four towered above, his silhouette black against the harsh lights of my cell.

From one hand a knife dripped blood onto the floor.

Drip.
Drip.

Drip.

The other reached down, slowly it seemed, and grasped the collar of my threadbare barely-a-shirt shirt. It ripped at his hold, but I stood, wet hot tears streaming down my face. I felt the blood from the face trickle down into my mouth and down my neck. He slapped me, again and again and again.

Drip.
Drip.

Drip.

I focused on that simple sound. Repetitive. Predictable.

Four slashed at my stomach, drawing red blood to the surface once more.

Finally, he threw me down. Discarded. Like trash. Like a failure.

"What will be will be."

I was met with the real world like a slap in the face, Jay hovering above me. Carrying me. He rushed out of the building, crumbling to pieces behind us as explosions went off, sending pieces flying.

It didn't really matter that much.

I couldn't hear it. I could barely see.

I came to, laying in a soft bed. Chairs lined up around me, and a stand was off to my left which held a bag. I sat up, holding my head as it throbbed. "Good morning."

I swung my head over to the side, which worsened the pain, to see Jay in a chair to my right. His face was swollen and molted with colored. Yet still, he smiled. I returned the gesture.

"What... happened?"

I heard his breath catch in his throat, and he avoided my eyes. After a while, he spoke up, his voice barely a whisper.

"They found you. They found us. We don't know how. But no where is safe anymore. They have eyes. Everywhere."

I didn't have to ask who. I didn't have to ask why. The voice in the back of my head knew. It mocked me, its voice a happy singsong.

Masters. Masters. Masters. Masters.

They're coming for you. They're coming to take you back.

And you can't hide.