Chapter 9

Drying my hair with a towel I looked at my fogged up self in the mirror. Sighing I set down the towel and wiped the mirror taking a good look at myself.
"It's only been 3 days yet I look so different," I muttered. It's not just my eyes. My face, my body, even my expressions. I look more matured. Stronger. Keener to the eye. Shaking my head I slipped on my clothes from the feudal era. Before leaving the bathroom I put my hair up into a quick ponytail revealing my earnings. I touched one of them and smiled.

"Mommy? Where did I get these earrings?" I asked.
"When you were about 6 months old me and your father took you out into town to walk you around in your stroller. We passed a jewelry shop and you began crying. I took you out and started pacing to try and calm you down while patting your back. Every time I got next to the shop your crying quieted down but if I moved away you would start screaming!" the woman chuckled at the memory.
"And then what happened!" I pleaded intrigued.

"Well we took you in to look around and you began pointing in a direction! It was the strangest thing because you've never done that before. So we walked to where you were pointing and the earrings caught all of our eyes. Your eyes were sparkling like never before. So we bought them and finally got your ears pierced on your first birthday and we never took them off because if we tried you would start crying!" the woman laughed more. I began to laugh with her.
"Mommy, I'll never take them off!" I yelled in pure joy.
"I know you won't." the woman smiled while placing her hand on my cheek and kissing my forehead.

Tears were falling down my face at the memory. We were so happy then. I miss it. I miss mom. I miss dad. I miss being a family. Why did I have to be such a screw-up! I slammed my fists down on the bathroom sink. Slowly looking up my reflection looked back at me. The eyes that I've come to know so well are not even mine anymore. Wiping my eyes with a sigh I finally exit the bathroom limping down the stairs.

"Mitsuki! Are you feeling any- you've been crying!" Kagome exclaimed worriedly.
"I'm fine. Just got soap in my eyes." I waved her off and hobbled to sit down. She looked at me with concern but I only looked away. I drank from the cup of tea that was handed to me. Savoring the taste.
"It's not as good as Kaede's" I mumbled. Nobody caught my comment besides 1 person. She patted my back.

"I know you miss it there and I understand why. I'm sorry we came back," she whispered to me.
"It's fine Kagome. It was inevitable. We weren't supposed to be there. It's not our time and not our era. We belong here. In modern-day." I coldly replied. I'm reverting to my old ways already. How strange that 1 place could make me change so much. How I could laugh, talk, and smile freely there but not here. I'm confused and it's hurting me that I don't understand what's going on with me.

It wasn't long until dinner.
"Real food, real food, real food!" Kagome repeated completely ignoring her grandpa making me shake my head. I perked up at the sound of footsteps. Barefoot footsteps. It couldn't be, could it?! Just as Kagome shoved food into her mouth the kitchen door slid open harshly. I stood up quickly, "Inuyasha!" I instantly fell to one knee wincing.
"Mitsuki!" Kagome's mother came to my aid.
"I'm fine I'm ok." I quickly reassured.

"Inuyasha?" Kagome questioned as we all stared. I was giddy with joy while Kagome and her family were in shock.
"Idiots! Who told you, you could go home!? And you! I thought you were going to get her!" he accused peeved.
"It's a long story" I sighed out.
"Uh- what- uh, where did you-" Kagome stumbled over her words.
"Through the well, of course!" he yelled impatiently.

"The well? But the well is-"
"You lie! I made those spirit wards myself. There's no way you could have-" her grandpa cut her off only to get cut off himself.
"Well I have to break it to you old man but they don't work," Inuyasha informed causing the old man to what I can assume heartbreak.
"Come on you we're leaving! You too let's go!" he demanded as he grabbed Kagome's arm. I shrugged and said a simple 'ok' while of course, Kagome protested.

"Stay right there!" Miss Higurashi exclaimed. Oh boy, I slapped my palm over my face.
"Mom, I-" Kagome began but was cut off by her mom stroking his ears and making comments about them. Everyone in the family began doing it.
"Inuyasha, do you see that?" Kagome questioned which caught my attention. If it's what I think it is apparently she can only see it. Although I don't even know what it is but considering the demon called herself "Yura of the hair" I can take a wild guess.

"I don't see nothin'." he looked down at himself confirming my thoughts. Only she can see it. Why? Is it because of being Kikyo's reincarnation?
"A hair. On your shoulder, see?" she reached out to grab it only for her hand to start dripping in blood. Now my attention has been very caught.
"This is bad isn't it?" I asked. Inuyasha only nodded. Dammit.
"It moved," Kagome muttered.
"Kagome, your hand what is it?" her family questioned. Only for her to try and show them but they couldn't see it either.

She began to run down the hallway.
"Inuyasha, help me," I announced seriously with cold eyes.
"Huh? Help you with what?" he queried.
"To walk. Back before we fell through the well and came back I tripped and twisted my ankle." I explained. He only sighed and picked me up.
"H-hey I can walk you know?!" I exclaimed at his gesture.
"You'll only slow us down right now." he huffed.

I went quiet.
"I'm a burden...a liability.." I whispered.
"Shut up your still useful if we can get our hands on some knives." he shut me down. I looked in shock as he rushed his way to the well. I'm still useful? I'm still useful! I nodded once to myself. I can do this! I won't have anyone saving me.
"The old crone is right. You do have the sight." Inuyasha responded to whatever Kagome had said.
"You did it! The hair followed you, so it came here!" she accused.

Her family began to rush to our aid only for Kagome to slam the door shut telling them to not come in. Inuyasha set me down. It was all a mess of Kagome dodging and trying to help Inuyasha dodge and attack it. I screamed out as something grabbed me. Soon I was released and I landed on my back with a thud.
"Ow.." I rubbed my head, "is it over?"
"Far from it," Inuyasha answered.

"Let's go right now," Kagome demanded.
"But I thought you guys didn't want to go back." he challenged.
"I had no complaints" I commented only to get looks from both of them.
"Ok, I'll shut up now." I held my hands up in surrender.
"I don't, she does, but I have to." Kagome came to terms.
"What?" Inuyasha whispered in shock.

Inuyasha began taking off his red Kimono top throwing it over Kagome's head.
"It's made with the hair of the fire rat. You'll have some protection at least," he concluded looking away in awkwardness.
"Uh, well thank you." Kagome returned the awkwardness. This is weird to be watching. I might puke from the cringiness.
"Yeah well if you weren't so weird looking, you wouldn't even need it," he responded. Nice save.

"You should talk dog boy!" Kagome countered.
"Yeah, yeah whatever." he waved her off as he hopped up onto the edge of the well. I raised a brow and cleared my throat. Both of them turning to look at me.
"Forgetting something?" I asked annoyed. Inuyasha quickly came over picking me up again.
"What about my protection asshole?!" I sassed.
"I already have a plan for you so shut it. You ready?" he inquired Kagome and I. We both nodded and down the well we went.