Chapter 22

We made it back to Kaede's soon after the whole ordeal. Inuyasha was as quiet as ever and Kagome was stuck in her thoughts. As for myself...well...Kaede was bandaging me up.
"I know ye heal quickly, faster than Inuyasha but, those wounds won't heal for at least a day or two," Kaede informed as she finished up my shoulder.

"I'm sorry I got injured so badly. I just... I just needed to help. I wanted to help. I couldn't just sit there and do nothing as I have before-" I began to apologize and explain. Kagome and Inuyasha were now listening to my every word. "-I tried so hard to fight Urasue but I couldn't do it. I couldn't even injure her and I'm supposed to be this all-powerful fox queen or whatever and I was completely useless! I was so weak and helpless. I couldn't do anything to help!" I began sobbing as the emotions started to pour out of me.

Kaede gently and slowly wrapped her arms around me pulling me in. I sobbed uncontrollably into her shoulder. It's all I could do. All the pain, all the sorrow, all the loss and helplessness I've felt for years just spewed out of me. I couldn't stop it and no one made a move or said a word to stop me. Kagome began rubbing circles on my back while Kaede gently rocked from side to side. Inuyasha has turned away and I was more than grateful for that.

"Child ye were so brave. Even though ye aren't used to your demon body and have never trained to fight ye still did. That wasn't weak, that was a very strong thing to do and I am proud of ye." Kaede muttered soft things after her kind words such as "it's ok to cry" and "let it all out" and I did. I released every pent-up emotion I've had for years.

I stayed like that. Sobbing. For about an hour and my tears were starting to disappear and dry. My sobs turned into just heavy breathing. I finally felt relaxed. I finally felt safe in the embrace of Kaede, the soothing rubs on my back from Kaede, and the presence of Inuyasha. I just feel so tired. Tired of it all. I allowed myself to grasp the safe space and the relaxed feeling. I'm just so tired. Darkness began to take over my mind with the gentle sways of Kaede's body.

3rd person pov
Mitsuki had fallen fast asleep and no one wanted to take that from her. They would do whatever they could to allow the girl to have some peace even if it was for a little while. She deserves that much.
"I've never seen her cry like that or at all. Maybe a few tears here and there but never actually crying." Kagome's hushed voice filled the room along with Mitsuki's soft breathing. Kaede set the girl down covering her with a blanket.

"What did you expect? It was bound to happen sooner or later." Inuyasha responded.
"Inuyasha don't be rude!" Kagome scolded only to be shushed by Kaede.
"I didn't mean it like that. The girl has a lot of mental trauma and she blames herself for a lot of things out of her control. Yesterday just pushed her over the edge of her breaking point. People like her and I learned to swallow our emotions and move forward. Although even I know when to let them out but she's been bottling it up for years. She was bound to break at one point or another." Inuyasha explained.

"I didn't think about it like that.." Kagome admitted.
"Because you don't understand what it's like to be different to where people cast you aside." he roughly scolded. He stepped outside after that.
"What's his problem?" Kagome asked Kaede.
"I'm not quite sure. Maybe he relates a lot with Mitsuki is all." the elderly woman replied.

"Kaede..Inuyasha and I think it's best if we leave the village again but I'm not sure if we should take Mitsuki with us. Her injuries will be fine I know that much but I don't know if her mental state is gonna be ok." Kagome confided and sought advice.
"I think she should go. Mitsuki will only grow and learn more about strength if she has to struggle to get it. As much as I hate to see her this way I think it's best." Kaede answered. The hut was left in silence after that. All that was heard was Mitsuki's soft breaths and Kaede cooking.

Normal pov
An amazing aroma hit my nose and I groggily woke from my sleeping state.
"What's that amazing smell?" I yawned out while rubbing my eye.
"A stew. It was Kikyo's favorite." Kaede replied with a hint of sadness. The memories hit me like a bus. The crying. Kagome's almost permanent death. Kikyo. All of it. I thought it was just a bad dream but it's not. That's when I noticed the absence of Inuyasha.

"Where's Inuyasha? Isn't it getting late?" I questioned.
"You were only out for a couple of hours. It's only lunchtime. He should be back soon." Kaede replied handing me a bowl which I gratefully took. Inuyasha did return not too long after and we all sat in comfortable silence. Well, I was comfortable but Kagome seemed a bit awkward.
"Did something happen while I was asleep?" I implored.
"No." they both replied sternly. Well so much for that.

"We should get going soon. We need to look for more jewel shards." Inuyasha told us. I just nodded and finished up my food. I'm thankful that no one is bringing up the fact that I sobbed for a whole hour. Made things less awkward for me. Standing up slowly I folded the blanket I used and put it away.
"Well let's go." I chirped with a small smile. Inuyasha and Kagome got ready as well.

"Mitsuki. Put this on before you go. The woman who made your clothes last time made you a proper kimono." Kaede informed me as she handed me the clothes.
"Give her my thanks and gratitude. It's lovely." I replied as I held it out in front of me getting a good look. It had white and blue all over and long sleeves. It was perfect in every way. It was long enough yet short enough for me to fight freely. Smiling I quickly moved to put it on. It fit perfectly.

"Thank you, Kaede for taking care of me." I hugged the old woman. She wrapped her arms around me as well, "You're welcome child. I'll always be here if ye need me. Make sure Kagome changes your Bandages tonight and tomorrow morning. Have a safe trip, child." she responded as she began to pull away. I softly smiled at her and nodded, "We will."