Chapter 4

We swam for what seemed like forever until Blast said, "We'll rest here for the night."

I didn't even realize what time it was until I stopped and looked around. It was very dark.

"How close are we?"

"We might make it before sunset tomorrow, if we don't make any stops. I'll wake you up when the food comes," Blast said.

"What do you mean, 'when the food comes?'" I asked.

"Each morning, just before the sun is up fully, food drops to cover the entire top of the Pond. It's enough to sustain everyone until the next day's food," Blast explained.

I nodded, pretending this made any sense, and went to sleep.

I had an odd dream. I was back in my tank, talking to Jemmy, Finn, and Sunset.

"You ready, boys?" Jemmy asked. "I'll miss you, but you need this. It's what's best for everyone."

"I'll miss you, my dear," Sunset said.

"I'll miss you too," Jemmy said, looking sad into Sunset's loving and equally sad eyes.

Finn swam over to me and pulled me to a far corner, where Mom and Sunset couldn't hear us.

"What did you do?" she asked.

"I don't know," I said. She was talking about when she died, right?

"My head started throbbing until I suddenly plunged into darkness. Did you do it?" Finn asked me.

"I...I think so. I don't know how or why, though," I said.

But this got me thinking...did I kill my sister?

"I don't think it was you, but you should never trust your dreams, brother. They can be misleading," Finn said.

"So you're saying I shouldn't trust you telling me that I may not have killed you?" I asked, a little perplexed.

"Exactly."

"But...who else would have? All the other Sallarals are in exile in Larani," I argued.

"Are they all in Larani?" Finn told me. "I can tell just by being around you that you are indeed a Sallaral, but I don't think you killed me. I think there was an imposter. If Trout finds out, a war could break out in Proud Pond, and everyone and everything could perish."

"Who else would be powerful enough to kill you, though?" I asked.

"I'm not as strong as people say. At least, not after the last war. But, like I said, don't believe anything I say in your dream," Finn replied, swimming back up to meet her forlorn mother and uncle.

I swam to meet her, but I heard a faroff voice calling my name.

Lucky! Lucky!

Lucky!

It's time to wake up, Lucky!

Let's go!

"Lucky, wake up. It's almost sunrise," Blast said.

"I'm up, Blast. I'm up," I said, forcing myself up off the comfortable sand.

"We need to go," Blast said.

"But what about the food?" I asked.

"No time. There's danger on its way in the form of Tremendous Trout."