Chapter 6

I swam for a long time. I stopped off when I was tired until Trout caught up with me.

The eighth time I stopped off, I realized exactly how tired I was. I had only slept once since I got here, and it was getting late. I decided to let Trout catch up to me and I would deal with him when he got to me.

I rested up good until I heard Trout rustling through some plants right behind me.

I darted out in front of him and said "Looking for me?"

Trout stopped swimming three inches from my face and said "Actually, I am."

He was enormous. He was at least six times taller than I was long and at least a foot in length. He was easily the largest fish in the pond, and that meant he was very intimidating.

I knew he couldn't hurt me. If he tried, my instincts would register it and he would burst into dust, like my dad and sister.

"You know you can't hurt me," I said.

"I can. I'm Tremendous Trout," he said in a confident voice.

"Well, I'm a Sallaral and I can't control my powers. If you come after me, that power will kick in and kill you from the inside out," I said.

"I know you're a Sallaral. That's why I'm here," Trout said, swimming backward a little.

"What, you're gonna take me to Larani? Where do you think I was going, Bass?" I said.

He looked offended when I called him that, then said "No, Lucky, I'm here to kill you."

"I knew you were gonna say that," I said, surrendering to my instincts and my powers.

Trout tried to come at me, but an invisible force knocked him backward.

"You're no Sallaral! You're a Muradi!" Trout shrieked.

"Do I even ask?" I said.

"You have the powers of a Sallaral and a Celestial combined. Muradae are very rare and powerful," Trout asked.

"Makes sense. My uncle was a powerful Sallaral and my mom was a powerful Celestial," I said.

"You need to go to Larani now, Lucky," Trout said.

"Why? I'm half-Celestial," I said.

"That's not the half I'm worried about," he replied.

"I see. You want to keep me from killing any more innocent Celestials, but you won't let anyone help me control my power," I said. "I've kind of guessed there aren't any Celestial trainers in Larani?"

"Most Celestials know their full powers when they arrive here. There aren't any trainers anywhere," Trout said.

"What about the powerful ones who can control their powers? They can help me," I said.

"You need to go to Larani first, Lucky," Trout said.

"I'm taking myself," I said.

"Why? So you can accept the fact that you killed your sister and your dad?"

"You take that back NOW!" I said. "How did you even know?"

"Rumors travel fast around here. Anything you don't want anyone to know, don't tell anyone and don't let anyone witness it," Trout said. "I heard the descendant of Sadie's fish made it here and I knew he'd be powerful. Most of the fish here know you'd be powerful, especially since we knew your sisters."

I lost it. As soon as he mentioned my family, I made a move.