Chapter 8

I woke up abruptly and couldn't find my breath. I realized eventually that it was because my gills were being forced shut.

"Who's...there?" I squeaked out.

"Don't go back to your sister, Lucky. She won't help you," said a strange voice I'd never heard before.

"Who...are you?" I asked again.

"I'm your worst enemy," the voice said.

"What can I call you?" I asked.

"Call me...Violet," the voice said.

"You...you're a girl?" I asked. "I don't want to kill a girl."

"When you meet me, you won't want to kill me anyways," Violet said, taking some pressure off my gills. I could finally breathe a little.

"Why are you torturing me like this, Violet?" I asked.

"Because you killed two very powerful Celestials," Violet said. "They were my family!"

What?

"Your...your family?" I asked.

"Yes. My dad and my sister," Violet said.

"Who are you, Violet? I know you know me," I said. "I'm your brother."

Suddenly, a form appeared in front of me. I knew this was Violet. She was pretty. She looked like Finn and Bella.

Violet sighed. "When you were born, Sadie had actually noticed there were two babies. She couldn't save us in time, and I died. I appeared in Proud Pond, right where Tremendous Trout was dealing with a Sallaral. This Sallaral was my uncle, Sunset. He'd died four days before I was born.

"When I appeared, Sunset and Trout were arguing. Within minutes, Trout and his minions were dead. Sunset was free and swam off.

"I tried to get his attention, but he didn't listen to me. He didn't even know I existed. All I could do was fend for myself.

"Eventually, Tremendous Trout came back to life and made laws against Sallarals. Little did anyone know, he was a Muradi, half-Celestial and half-Sallaral, which is what I am."

"Me too," I said.

"Really?" Violet asked.

"Yeah. I beat up Tremendous Trout. Long story. Finish yours first," I said.

Violet rolled her eyes and continued. "I got Trout's attention, but he didn't want help from a child. A brand new baby! He used his Celestial power to make me age to the same age that my uncle was when he died.

"I helped him get rid of threats in Proud Pond. Unfortunately, that included some fish...very close to me. Then I heard about you. I figured you could help us, so I killed Finn to get your attention. I followed you to Dad's house and learned of your plan.

"I reported it back to Trout and we followed you to your 'hiding spot' on the way to Larani. We didn't want Dad in on our plan, so Trout helped me kill him. I didn't want to, believe me, but I had to.

"Then, you beat up Trout. I knew you were going to kill him, so I did it for you, slowly and peacefully, and put his life source into the pond. It was too powerful to roam the pond unchecked, so I did what I had to do," Violet said.

"Wow," I said. "Now that I know, am I gonna have to die, too?"

"Not necessarily," Violet said. "You can help me take down threats, like I did with Trout."

I remembered Finn's message. It was almost like she was telling me herself, in the back of my mind. I had to find Bella. She would help me take down Violet, but I knew Violet wouldn't let me.

I knew I couldn't fight her myself. She'd easily kill me. I had to find Bella, but also be on Violet's side.

"Sure. Should we start in town? That's where most of the threats would probably be," I said, hopeful that Violet would fall for it.

"After you," she said, nodding towards town.