11 | lanterns

Haruto~

"I found a new interpreter, you don't have to show up anymore." Jyunhao told me while texting someone on his phone.

"What? Since when- why did you only inform me now?" I suddenly got the hint. "You don't want me near Yumi? Because I might tell her? Don't worry, I won't do anything like that-"

"Doesn't matter. I don't like you, and you being there makes me uncomfortable. It's just as simple as that." He finally looked at my direction.

"Shouldn't work and personal problems be separate from each other? I thought you were professional." I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow at him.

"Well, I take it very seriously. Yumi feels uncomfortable with you around too, so the feeling is mutual. Stop arguing with me." He turned around but what I said next stopped him from continuing.

"I need this job. If you make me leave, I'll for sure tell her..." I wouldn't actually- but I need to blackmail him somehow. "It's not that deep. It's just a fucking job."

"I'll give you money, just leave her." Jyunhao took out his wallet but I stopped him.

"I work for my money. If you want me to be honest, I do want to spend time with Yumi- and I don't mind it being under your watch. She's your girlfriend, so don't worry about me."

That's the sad truth.

You suddenly start appreciating something once it's not there anymore.

__________________________

Jyunhao~

This Haruto guy is really getting on my nerves. What he said earlier really woke me up, but I can't do or say anything to my father because that would only create a huge mess.

"Is Haruto coming to the local lantern festival with us?" Yumi suddenly peeped her head through the door.

"Um... yeah, I guess." I stood up and let her into my room.

"That's great then! I learn so much from him, and he's almost like a friend. I instantly felt a strong connection when I first met him, which I think is so important. Jyunhao, let's always book Haruto as our interpreter!" She excitedly said.

"You think Haruto's handsome, isn't that it?" I teased her.

"What?! No! What are you talking about..." she awkwardly laughed. "Well, that too- but I won't cheat on you!"

"You're so cute," I pinched her cheeks and she blushed. "And you better not!"

__________________________

Haruto~

We arrived at the lantern festival and rented kimonos to get the full experience. Mine's a blue one, which actually really suits me.

"How is it?" I felt someone tap my back, and my jaws just dropped once I turned around.

Yumi looks absolutely stunning in her pink kimono. The way her hair is styled and how the material just literally hugs her body so perfectly.

"Riddles." Jyunhao giggled while reading some corny ones attached onto the lanterns.

"What does this say?" Yumi looked at me with doe eyes.

"Ah... it says," I didn't even read it first before translating. "I go in hard, I come out soft. You blow me hard, what am I?"

"That's um... a..." She eventually bursted out laughing. "I have no idea."

"Well, I can't find the answer." I looked behind the piece of red paper, but there's literally nothing.

"I guess we'll just make an assumption." Yumi winked and I nodded along with her.

The rest of the day was quite nice. We tried some Japanese delicacies, and even new activities that I myself haven't tried. Jyunhao and Yumi seemed to have really enjoyed it, and so did I.

"It's time for the lanterns to be lit." I told them and we all went to the ceremony area. The sky's about to go dark, and everyone's starting to walk under the lanterns to come and pray for what they want.

Yumi took a lantern and lit it before making one simple wish. Her eyes closed as she seemed to feel at ease.

"I wish to gain my memory back." She silently murmured, but I heard every word she conveyed.

I wish to make her happy.

As we let go of our lanterns, everyone looked up and saw the beautiful ocean of floating lanterns in the air. Each one has a wish and story, varies in situation or age. Thinking what each one could mean, it somewhat made me clueless. What is everyone going through?

The night became dark, but the lanterns  in the sky served as fireflies, keeping the night bright.

The smiles on everyone's faces. The look of amazement evident in each person's eyes. The juvenile curiosity of each child, so innocent and pure.

Suddenly, my life seemed to have colour and meaning once again ever since Yumi came back to my life.

__________________________

THEY'RE RECORDING THE FINALS NOW AGSHWW IM NERVOUS

Song: Justin Bieber — Love Yourself