35 | rewrite

Last Chapter

Yumi~

"Haruto! Jyunhao!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, trying to get pass security. It was no use, everyone pushed me back and told me that it was too dangerous.

I tried other exits, but everyone guarded them. It's impossible.

Are they okay? Please...

My mind went blank as I fell onto the ground. Gruesome thoughts suddenly appeared in my head, which made me even more anxious.

"Let's go. Now." Someone lightly grabbed my arm, and that's when I finally felt at ease. Haruto's safe...

Or is he?

__________________________

Haruto~

"Haruto, you son of a bitch! What have you done to my son?" I heard Jyunhao's father yelling from afar. After using an automatic defibrillator on Jyunhao, his heart rate became much more stable. I immediately left the room and found myself running through a series of dark hallways with rarely any people in sight.

The elevators stopped working, and so did the escalators. The only way out is through the emergency exits.

I was sprinting down the stairs, when I suddenly saw him in my peripheral vision. I stumbled backwards but carried myself back up, then ran towards the opposite direction.

"You can't escape me, Haruto. I'll kill you and Subin for harming my son. I don't care how long it takes... you will pay for it!" He screamed in despair.

So now it's apparently my fault that he shot his own son?

I wiped the thought away and never stopped running. I finally found an exit and jumped right out. I winced in pain as I hit the cold concrete, but immediately got up and forced myself to escape although I probably broke a couple bones.

People stared at me while I limped, but nobody helped. In a crowd of nurses and doctors, families and patients... no one helped me.

I suddenly spotted a girl crying near the entrance, and my heart immediately clenched at the sight of her. I don't even need to see the face to know that it's my girl.

"Let's go. Now." I lightly grabbed her arm, and we ran to who-knows-where.

Safety. That's all we need.

"Haruto... he's behind us..." Subin's voice began to shake as she stared at me with fear in her eyes.

"Run. Don't look back.... just go somewhere safe, okay?" I longingly stared at her before kissing her softly, one last time. "I love you. Goodbye."

"I love you too... but I don't want to say goodbye." She began to sob but I immediately pushed her away after that.

Maybe our story doesn't have a happy ending after all.

___________________________

Yumi~

*Flashback*

"In the future, where should we live after getting married?" I admired the night sky as Haruto and I chilled at our secret hideout.

"Do you want to live in Hakone? It's really close to Mount Fuji and it's way quieter than here in the city. We could build a café together, and also start a family..." He mentioned which made my heart pound.

"Sounds great." I replied. Haruto suddenly stood up and took out his MP3 player. He put on one earbud, and gave the other one to me.

"I want to dance with you." He placed his hands around my waist and pulled me closer to him. I nodded and rest my head on his beating chest.

"I want to dance with you forever." I mumbled gently.

"Me too."

*End of Flashback*

"Haruto..." My tears blurred my eyesight as I ran back to him.

I won't let him be alone. Not again.

Haruto stood there, hopeless. He seems extremely calm and it's scaring me... his eyes showed signs of emptiness, his face looks awfully blank.

His eyes met mine and he stared at me in utter pain. That gaze- that miserable gaze. It will never disappear from my mind.

Seconds later he slowly walked onto the busy streets, towards me.

__________________________

Haruto~

"Haruto..." I heard a familiar voice crying on the other side of the road.

I told her to leave. Why didn't she listen to me?

"You or Subin? Pick one." Those words kept replaying in my head.

I noticed that a car has been following us since earlier. I squinted my eyes and checked to see the driver, not even being surprised that it's Jyunhao's father.

He's waiting.

For either me or Subin to cross the street, for him to finally make his move.

I began walking slowly towards the road before Subin does, my eyes never leaving hers. I hope my message reaches her.

I'm sorry and I love you so much.

Maybe it would have been better if she never remembered me.

I suddenly felt a heavy impact that quickly rushed through me. My body collapsed onto the ground, as my head hit the hard concrete. It hurts. I can't breathe.

It feels so cold.

My eyes began to blur and all I see is white. The muffled sounds of people screaming and cars beeping filled my ears.

Maybe I was destined to die after all. Six years ago when I escaped my death, and today, where I won't anymore.

I'm so sorry, Subin.

Maybe there's just some things that we can't rewrite.

__________________________

[END]

Song: Ailee(에일리) - Rewrite..If I Can (다시 쓰고 싶어)