26 | promise

Haruto~

"Don't get lost, okay? Call me once you get home." I patted Airi's head, sending her away. The week went by quicker than usual, and now my sister has to go back home.

"Unnie, come to Tokyo sometimes! I had so much fun. Also, I hope you marry my brother soon." She hugged Yumi one last time.

Yumi taught Airi a few Korean words and phrases, since she's starting middle school next year and it's one of her language courses.

We waved her goodbye one more time, before letting her go inside the train.

"It feels really quiet all of a sudden." Yumi pouted while staring at the doors that were closing. She looked down at her feet and sighed.

"Haruto, Yumi!" I suddenly heard a faint sound coming from behind us.

Wang Jyunhao.

_________________________

Yumi~

"Didn't think I'd see you two here." Jyunhao panted as he tried to calm down after running.

"Yeah, I thought you were in Taiwan?" Haruto suddenly added while putting his hand in mine. I checked up to see Jyunhao's reaction- and as expected, he's quite shocked.

"You two are together now... I expected it. You look great together," he painfully laughed, and it honestly did break my heart. "I'm here because I want to tell Yumi something. It's about our fathers' businesses."

"You can tell me now." My grip tightened as I felt a bit nervous.

"Can I talk to you alone?"

__________________________

Jyunhao~

We awkwardly sat on a bench while watching cherry blossoms linger around the sidewalks.

"So how are you-"

"Why are you here?" Yumi didn't even look at me and just stared down at her feet, irritated by my presence. "Just get right to the point."

"You're happy with Haruto, right?" I looked ahead of me and saw the incoming subway on the train tracks. Japan is quite beautiful.

"Of course, I'm happy with him. I've never been so happy in my life." She finally picked up her head and smiled to herself.

"Don't get mad at him. It's not his fault that he kept it a secret... he didn't want to hurt you anymore," In the midst of our conversation, it started to rain. It really is spring time. "Let's go somewhere with a roof-"

"No, tell me now. What is it that you want to say? You came all the way to Japan." Yumi started to get all stiffed up.

"I lied about being with you during the car accident. The truth is, it was Haruto..." I explained to her everything else. Even how my father threatened to harm Haruto's family if he didn't evacuate to Hakone, and so on.

Yumi let out sharp cries, which really broke my heart. I hate seeing the girl I love upset. The raindrops started to fall more rapidly, and it almost seems as if Yumi's tears and the rhythm of the rain were in sync.

"So this whole time, Haruto knew me? That's why he kept pushing me away... he knows about what your father did?"

"Yes, and he still blames himself for it. In reality, it's all my dad's fault because he's greedy. It's also my fault that I obeyed. I was blinded too- I'm so sorry, on behalf of my father." I went down onto my knees and apologized. "Yumi, listen..."

This is it.

I'll let her go with a smile on my face.

"Let Haruto know that he didn't do anything wrong. Same as you, don't blame yourself. I love you, and you deserve to be happy... I'm so sorry for everything that I have done."

_________________________

Yumi~

*Flashback*

"What would you do if ever we separate?" I curiously asked Haruto as we walked back home, hand-in-hand.

"I'll look for you, then we would be together again. That's if you remember me." He stopped walking, and stared me right in the eyes.

"How could I ever forget you?" I cupped his face and drowned in his dark brown eyes. "Unless I get a concussion or something... but even so, I'll do anything to remember you."

"Me too. In my next life, I still want to be with you..." Haruto raised up his hand and I did the same. "Pinky promise that we'll meet again in the future, if by chance we get separated?"

"Promise."

__________________________

Hey guys, I won't be able to post next week due to personal reasons.

It's not that I'm lazy, but currently going through a difficult time rn and it just feels too heavy for me to even write. I will continue writing this book when I feel better, but atm I'm grieving. I'm so sorry guys:/

Song: Day6 (데이식스) — Letting Go (놓아 놓아 놓아)